Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like all you have to do is email them or nicely ask the distributor or whoever to do something about it and they will be glad to oblige. I don't think for 1 minute Stihl wouldn't spend $.50 or a buck to make you piece of equipment right cause you will prolly buy more Stihl equipment cause it dang good. That's just foolish on a widespread issue. I think sum of you need to get to typing and email and pull your panties out your crack. I sent email and waiting for response.

Its not like they have denied the problem anywhere I can find
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
I agree. While yes some people have had problems with them, they are a neat alternative to a rather flaccid fuel tank feature. I have 4 of the caps between my BP blower, trimmer, and chainsaw, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. You just have to make sure you get the notches into the proper slots and just tip the machine slightly to check for leaks before you go carrying it around. I have to wonder home many of the problems are simply user error.
You just wait....you will eventuall have trouble...that is a promise...dont get me wrong ...i like the sthil stuff we have...but the caps are a problem too often...and I can assure you its not operator error all the time....we have over 40 pcs of sthil equipment....about half have these caps...and about half of those have had trouble....its a great idea...but a bad design..needs much improvement.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut level View Post
Its not like they have denied the problem anywhere I can find
It's only recently that they've admitted to having a problem. I wrote them back in 2005 about it and they said there was nothing was wrong with the caps.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like the idea of the new design well enough but they need to be as near fail safe as possible.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just need to screw in its a gas cap. CAT tried the same thing alittle better but its a flop as well.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's only recently that they've admitted to having a problem. I wrote them back in 2005 about it and they said there was nothing was wrong with the caps.
Well I stand corrected.

I really like the design the way it "locks" in but it's aggravating as crap especially those July and August smoker days!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BR600. The cap gave me fits from the beginning.

After reading on this thread I e mailed Stihl, got a prompt reply and a new cap within a few days.

At a quick glance, really not much of a comparison, I could not see any obvious difference, but the new one works as it should. I never had any problem lineing up the old cap, there is a narrow lug that goes into a narrow slot vs the other two which are wider, It would only go one way, but the damn thing would not work properly. I eventually would get it to work but only after repeated trials. New one works great. I do not think it is operator but faulty product from the beginning, probably caps out of spec.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, there must be a problem... I have not had any thus far but I am thinking I should get a few new caps in case. I was really thinking that people were forcing the cap on in some manner as to deform the mating parts but to have this many complaints there must be an issue. People in Europe do not seem to be complaining about this issue I wonder if there caps were from a different source?
Stihl HS 45 (Hedge Trimmer)
Stihl MS-360 25" (Chainsaw)
Poulan 3700 20" (Chainsaw)
Echo CS-3000 14" (Chainsaw)
Scotts Classic (Reel Mower) Yep!
Shindaiwa EB802RT (Blower)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
I have a BR600. The cap gave me fits from the beginning.

After reading on this thread I e mailed Stihl, got a prompt reply and a new cap within a few days.

At a quick glance, really not much of a comparison, I could not see any obvious difference, but the new one works as it should. I never had any problem lineing up the old cap, there is a narrow lug that goes into a narrow slot vs the other two which are wider, It would only go one way, but the damn thing would not work properly. I eventually would get it to work but only after repeated trials. New one works great. I do not think it is operator but faulty product from the beginning, probably caps out of spec.
What is the email ? I have emailed them and gotr nothing. I am so made at Sthil now. Anouther day with gas leaking on my back.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leave it to designers to "over engineer" what should be and usually is a very simple item..c'mon what is wrong with a basic screw on cap??? in 25 yrs we may have had 2-3 screw on type caps leak due to over tightening.....this new cap is a bit complex for what it has to do......give us a break sthil...our job is hard enough without the bs of this design.....go back to BASICS ....furthermore, one would think a basic 1 pc cap would be cheaper to produce than this high tech wonder cap......imo
Closed Thread

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl