Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
They suck. I have learned to live with them. But I have learned to live with jock-itch, too.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

No problems here. Every piece I have is Stihl! A couple of trimmers are a little stiff to get off but they have a few years of service under their belt. All other chain saws, hedge trimmers no prob. Wonder why they still have the screw in cap on the backpacks though? Both my 380 have that type.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I just bought two BR 600's, and BOTH gas caps are screwed up, after only a few months. One of them I use myself, so I know it's not employee abuse. I purchased from Ace Hardware, and they gave me 2 caps for free, and I bought two more for back-ups.

We were on our large apartment job when one of the caps fell apart in my hand, rendering the blower useless, and being so far from the shop, we had to complete the job with only two blowers, I was PISSED. Went straight to Ace, and demanded two free caps, and they actually offered my FOUR free caps, but I offered to pay for two. Love Ace.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I refuel things maybe few dozen times a day. They range from trimmers, dozers, walk saws.... There isnt a cap design close to these. There wasn't a problem and shouldnt have been a change. To assume everyone that has a problem with these is stupid is assine. It only takes one person burned alive due to a unusual learning curve to prove this. They tried to get ahead of the child proof designs but failed. If your kids are playing with power tools you have a larger problem then cap designs.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

its hard NOT to think it isn't user error, even with so many people have problems.

i mean come on you put it in the tank, turn it and snap it down. no problems whatsoever.

i am very pleased with the caps and hope they stick around for a long time. and as i've said before i just wish my blower had that cap. it's a br400 so it has the old style screw on cap. as soon as i can justify the br600 i'm getting one. mostly for the added power but the cap will be a bonus.

i refuel my blower once a day and the trimmers and edgers multipul times a day. i have had no issues whatsoever. i do notice the o ring swells in the heat making it a little snug but that just means it will hold the fuel in that much better.

people can have there opinions but mine is that these caps are a great change. if i could convert the blower and my one edger to this style i would in a heart beat......
Old 08-28-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You either work for Stihl, have some relation that does or your hoping they are watching this and going to dsend you some free stuff. BECAUSE THE CAPS SUCK!!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
its hard NOT to think it isn't user error, even with so many people have problems.

i mean come on you put it in the tank, turn it and snap it down. no problems whatsoever.

i am very pleased with the caps and hope they stick around for a long time. and as i've said before i just wish my blower had that cap. it's a br400 so it has the old style screw on cap. as soon as i can justify the br600 i'm getting one. mostly for the added power but the cap will be a bonus.

i refuel my blower once a day and the trimmers and edgers multipul times a day. i have had no issues whatsoever. i do notice the o ring swells in the heat making it a little snug but that just means it will hold the fuel in that much better.

people can have there opinions but mine is that these caps are a great change. if i could convert the blower and my one edger to this style i would in a heart beat......
You are either lucky or just kidding. When you have to use vice grips to remove the cap because it is swollen . How many threads do you see devoted to people hating the old screw on caps? 0
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The caps suck.

The post above by PDMcgowan about a fire resulting from a faulty cap is an ominous prediction. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a horrible incident to get the attention of the manufacturer. I hope that is not the case this time.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
You are either lucky or just kidding. When you have to use vice grips to remove the cap because it is swollen . How many threads do you see devoted to people hating the old screw on caps? 0
Precisely the point. Just because some people's Pintos didn't blow up doesn't mean there wasn't a problem.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

Once you get that BR600 come back and tell us how much you like the caps. My other Stihl equip with same caps work fine, its only the BR600 I have trouble with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl