Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
You either work for Stihl, have some relation that does or your hoping they are watching this and going to dsend you some free stuff. BECAUSE THE CAPS SUCK!!!!!
none of the above. i've been using stihl equipment since before i was in business. i haven't seen a thing on any of them that suck.

you could say my only hope in posting how much i love the new caps is that they will see this and not revert to old screw on style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200 View Post
You are either lucky or just kidding. When you have to use vice grips to remove the cap because it is swollen . How many threads do you see devoted to people hating the old screw on caps? 0
maybe i am lucky because i'm not kidding. i don't use vice grips to remove the cap because its swollen. it's just a little more snug in the hotter temps which doesn't bother me.

there is nothing wrong with the screw on caps but i think the new style is quicker to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Once you get that BR600 come back and tell us how much you like the caps. My other Stihl equip with same caps work fine, its only the BR600 I have trouble with.
Posted via Mobile Device
i'll keep you posted on that blower. might be a while though. i might forget by that time to post. as long as my br400 keeps kicking it will be around. unless i run into some extra money and can purchase it with no justification. i've purchased enough equipment this season that i'm holding off until i actually need something.

although i do know plenty of people with the br600 who haven't had any trouble.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I think some of the caps are defective. I had all kinds of problems with the cap on my BR600 until one day I finally broke it. The new cap I purchased seems to work just fine. The cap on my Khombi is a PITA as well. I still hate them and think Stihl has a big problem they need to address.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

One other thing, after I broke the cap I got to see just how many pieces are used to make those things. I believe there are too many components used to make these caps making the possibility of getting a well working cap a hit or miss proposition. Overzealous German engineering
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The only good thing is IF the cap is locked down properly, I have not ever seen it leak a drop. When the screw on caps get old they leak fuel out of the vent hole. I hate the new fuel caps though. I ran out of gas (BR600) with only 10 ft of walkway to finish blowing off and had to refuel...well the fact that I had to walk all the way back to the truck pissed me off and then the dumb cap ate my lunch for 10 minutes before it locked down. If you get mad, it ain't going in.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaLawnCare View Post
I think some of the caps are defective. I had all kinds of problems with the cap on my BR600 until one day I finally broke it. The new cap I purchased seems to work just fine. The cap on my Khombi is a PITA as well. I still hate them and think Stihl has a big problem they need to address.
The cap on my Kombi works great, never a single problem with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the caps suck, I deal with replacing one daily at Stihl dealer I work at. 2 years ago there was supposed to be a new design but it never came. The caps are the only thing I hate about stihl product, worth the compromise.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl caps are the poorest engineered marvel I've ever been witness to. Complete JUNK!!! I'm almost positive that the technologically advanced engineer that came out with this flop has been promoted to management just to get him out of the way.

Kubota L-4610
2009 Ferris IS-5100Z 72'', 33.5 Cat Diesel
Stihl FS110R trimmer
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl BR 600
Stihl HL 100 Hedger
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit View Post
stihl caps are the poorest engineered marvel i've ever been witness to. Complete junk!!! I'm almost positive that the technologically advanced engineer that came out with this flop has been promoted to management just to get him out of the way.
haha, agreed!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
The cap on my Kombi works great, never a single problem with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here. I've had it since May and have never had a single problem with it.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 08-30-2010, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had my FS90 for three years and never understood what the problem was...

Until Sunday. Took 5 - 10 min. to get the cap back on, and I still am not sure what the problem was. It went in fine, but would not turn and lock closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl