Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

they probably get sick of reading all of you whinning about these caps. how many threads has there been on people whinning about how terrible these caps are.

i've got posts on all of them.

the problem with the caps seems to be a hit and miss situation. some people have trouble and others done. some like them and some don't

i'm one of those that haven't had any problems and i love the caps. i wish i could replace the caps on my older stihl equipment with these.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Once you get that BR600 come back and tell us how much you like the caps. My other Stihl equip with same caps work fine, its only the BR600 I have trouble with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Strange. I have a BR600, as well as two trimmers and an edger, all with these caps, and have not had a problem. I don't think it's isolated to any one model or piece of equipment. They probably had a bad batch of caps or something, as many have posted saying that a replacement cap solved all the problems.

My day is probably coming, but so far so good with these caps.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i agree......

after reading the posts in these thread about the stihl caps it is not isolated to a specific piece of equipment or specific model.

people on here have all types of stihl equipment with these new caps and seem to be having trouble. trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, etc.

whether it is a bad batch or not i do not know. i just know i have not had problems with mine. maybe i haven't had it long enough to have problems. who knows. but i can not say the caps suck because they work perfectly fine for me and i find them quicker than the screw on caps my other stihl equipment has.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, got my "improved version, according to the factory" replacement caps today. Look exactly like the old ones. The guy acknowledged that Stihl is aware of the problem and are trying to improve them.......i will let you know in a couple weeks if these are better or the same ole crap.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassdude View Post
Ok, got my "improved version, according to the factory" replacement caps today. Look exactly like the old ones. The guy acknowledged that Stihl is aware of the problem and are trying to improve them.......i will let you know in a couple weeks if these are better or the same ole crap.
a couple of weeks??? from what i've read on here and what crap has been given to me in previous stihl cap threads it takes more than a couple weeks.

i tried posting how good the caps were after i bought my new trimmer in july i think it was and had had it for a couple weeks. people told me to come back after i've had it for 6 months or more and see if i still love the caps.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok sorry.......a few weeks.....if we don't get some rain to get the grass growing again, it might be a few months.....not my intent to suggest it only took two weeks literally.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

what is wrong with threads.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good idea poor design. My guys are always spilling gas, even with the caps properly aligned every other tank it seems that something doesn't click all the way and as hard as you turn they just wont close all the way.

I have a pole saw that is a pain in the ass the get the cap off and also screw back on.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I have a pole saw that is a pain in the ass the get the cap off and also screw back on.
The locator tabs need to be clearanced. It takes 5 minutes and fixes the issue.

All Stihl needs to do is make the locator tabs a little smaller and tighten up manufacturing tolerance on the tab assembly. Since the new "improved" cap reportedly is identical in appearance to the old cap this may have been all they've done.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I broke one on my Br 600 and on my chainsaw. I am hoping Stihl has the patent on this crap and the Z-manufacturers don't ever start to put them on mowers.

Overengineered junk. What is wrong with screwing a cap on, you actually have to work hard at messing that up.

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl