Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Richard is 100 percent correct! His fix works. Just found a way to get some free replacement caps and finally got Stihl to admit that they are aware of the problem (otherwise they would not have given me the replacements). Just thought I would share that with everyone in hopes that you could recover some $ you may have spent on replacement caps. But if everybody will get a flat file and follow Richard Martin's instructions........you life will be much easier.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

my lifes much easier with the way the caps are.....

i think the idea of putting them on the mowers is great. i think i might suggest that to toro and exmark.......what a great idea.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i agree......

after reading the posts in these thread about the stihl caps it is not isolated to a specific piece of equipment or specific model.

people on here have all types of stihl equipment with these new caps and seem to be having trouble. trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, etc.

whether it is a bad batch or not i do not know. i just know i have not had problems with mine. maybe i haven't had it long enough to have problems. who knows. but i can not say the caps suck because they work perfectly fine for me and i find them quicker than the screw on caps my other stihl equipment has.
For the most part they work well. We do have a bit of problem with some chainsaws, but if you watch them then they work ok. Overfilling seems to cause them a bit of grief..

I think we notice more on the chainsaws as they do need more filling.. nothing burns more fuel tanks (small tank) than the 200T! Small tank, and hungry little saw.. but does a lot of work up in the trees. Having said that, once you get used to them, for the most part you usually have few problems.

We have them on Kombi's, blowers, chainsaws, trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc.. Now the old caps are ok too.. but their issue is if put on fairly tightly you have to find a tool to open them. The new ones save that step.. so guess there is no perfect world.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After reading many of these threads, I shot an e mail off to Stihl and got a quick reply that a new cap was on the way. It came in yesterday, about 4 days along with a new catalog.

I quickly installed it and it closes and locks easily, much easier than the old one ever did and does not leak.

I don't know what the problem with the original design but my hat's off to Stihl for addressing the problem and making replacement caps available at no cost.

JJK
Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
After reading many of these threads, I shot an e mail off to Stihl and got a quick reply that a new cap was on the way. It came in yesterday, about 4 days along with a new catalog.

I quickly installed it and it closes and locks easily, much easier than the old one ever did and does not leak.

I don't know what the problem with the original design but my hat's off to Stihl for addressing the problem and making replacement caps available at no cost.

JJK

This is true, but there has been several months of we don't have a problem to get to this point. Glad stihl has stepped up to the plate (finally)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had my Stihl FS 90 R trimmer for 2 years now and the gas cap is starting to get really hard to take off. I have to pull on it pretty hard to get it to come off. I hate the design and i dont understand why they didnt just put a screw cap on. Its not like its any faster.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
This is true, but there has been several months of we don't have a problem to get to this point. Glad stihl has stepped up to the plate (finally)
I complained here at Lawnsite and to Stihl about this problem back in 2005. It has been half a decade.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlBR600 View Post
Ive had my Stihl FS 90 R trimmer for 2 years now and the gas cap is starting to get really hard to take off. I have to pull on it pretty hard to get it to come off. I hate the design and i dont understand why they didnt just put a screw cap on. Its not like its any faster.
i happen to disagree with that statement.....

i think the new caps are much faster. they are also more user friendly. with the screw on caps not everyone has the same strength and some might not be able to screw on a screw on cap tight enough. on the flip side you have people like me who tend to over tighten things and it's harder to get them off.

with the new caps i have no problems. just twist open pull out fill tank put in twist shut.

now if we can only get the lawn mowers companys to put this style of cap on there mowers.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. If you dont have enough strength to unscrew a freaking gas cap then how are you going to handle holding the actual trimmer?! And im pretty sure that anyone would agree with me when i say that the new stihl gas caps are NOT user friendly. I was working with another crew just yesterday and one of the guys couldnt figure out how to get the cap off. So obviously they arent user friendly. We wouldnt be having this argument right now if Stihl just put the regular screw on gas caps on all their new equipment, nobody would be complaining.

2007 F-250 4x4 V10
8' Western Pro Plus Plow
2010 Haul-It tandem 6.5x14 aluminum trailer
2012 7X16 Enclosed Trailer
7X10 Dump Trailer
18 HP Billy Goat Leaf Loader
2012 SCAG Cheetah 61" 32 HP Vanguard
Accelerator grass catcher with leaf entender
Kawasaki 24" KHT600 hedge trimmers
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer with edger
Two Stihl FS 100 RX Trimmers
Stihl BG 55 blower
Two Stihl BR 600 Magnum backpack blowers
Stihl MS 180C Chainsaw
8 HP Giant Vac blower

21 Years Old
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlBR600 View Post
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. If you dont have enough strength to unscrew a freaking gas cap then how are you going to handle holding the actual trimmer?! And im pretty sure that anyone would agree with me when i say that the new stihl gas caps are NOT user friendly. I was working with another crew just yesterday and one of the guys couldnt figure out how to get the cap off. So obviously they arent user friendly. We wouldnt be having this argument right now if Stihl just put the regular screw on gas caps on all their new equipment, nobody would be complaining.
no we wouldn't because the new, improved and better gas caps wouldn't have exisited and we wouldn't have known about them.

i'll try and put you intouch with a few different people i've had help me out that handle the trimmers and other equipment just fine but can never seem to unscrew the gas caps. i always have to do it for them. maybe i put them on to tight. but you can't do that with the new style.

not to mention the strength used to hold something is different than the strength used to unscrew or loosen something.
Closed Thread

Tags
cap , gas , leaking gas , stihl