Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Boy MZ series

New guy here. Iíve been doing a lot of research for my next mower purchase and with out boring everyone with details (I can be long winded), Iím narrowing it down to the Hustler Sport 42 or Bad Boy MZ 42. Iíve read lots here about the Sport; about Hustlerís 2 yr. warranty on the complete mower (vs. 1 yr. for the MZ), the nice option of Honda engines, satisfaction from owners and a Hustler forum. Seems like the warranty and Honda engine choice sway must folks to the Sport. Was the Bad Boy dealer network a factor in the decision? As in not having a Bad Boy dealer nearby or more Hustler dealers available?

Iíd like to here from the MZ owners that are on here. If you had been deciding between the Sport and MZ, what made you choose the MZ? Were you able to buy it for less than list price? Or are the Bad Boy dealers firm on their pricing?

Iím not taking sides. I have drove a friends new Sport 48 with the Briggs. I noticed right away that being long-legged (6í2Ē), I would have to raise the control arms for knee clearance. I also thought Iíd have more Ďstretching outí room as far as the foot platform length, but Iíd probably have to go to a bigger machine with a higher seat height to be in total comfort. But a higher seat height would mean a higher center of gravity and I have 1 ditch slope that will need to be mowed carefully. Besides, either of these machines (Sport or MZ) will be already stretching my budget. I havenít sat on a MZ yet. I hope to be near a TSC within a couple weeks that has a MZ 48 in stock and Iíll check it out. When I am ready to actually buy, itíll be from a dealer for sure.

Iím planning on using my 6-year old Bolens, 38Ē deck, 15.5hp Briggs, 6 speed lawn tractor for the rest of the mowing season. Iím just doing some advance research to find out what is available and exactly what I want.

Kevin
Old 08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kevin I own a mz48 and is a very good mower briggs 26els awesome cut and no problem on my banks at all yes more legroom than the hustler the briggs is a twin on the 48 not sure about the 42 check one out before u buy
more hp than the sport and a great valuePosted via Mobile DeviceHeavy gauge frame and deck actually overbuilt for a residential mower as all bbs are

Last edited by rtharris; 08-24-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtharris View Post
Kevin I own a mz48 and is a very good mower briggs 26els awesome cut and no problem on my banks at all yes more legroom than the hustler the briggs is a twin on the 48 not sure about the 42 check one out before u buy
more hp than the sport and a great valuePosted via Mobile DeviceHeavy gauge frame and deck actually overbuilt for a residential mower as all bbs are
When the time comes, I'll be attempting to mow my steepest bank very carefully. I do it with my Bolens, but I can lean toward the uphill side quite a bit.

More legroom sounds good...I'll be looking forward to seeing that MZ in person. I've found a dealership that sells both Hustlers and Bad Boys, and has Sport's and MZ's in stock...a perfect way to compare then in person, but... the dealership is 200+ miles away from where I live! So I'll have to look them over one at a time.

The MZ 42 has a single 21hp Briggs (from a brochure I have and online).

Kevin
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on whether or not you can use a 48", the MZ will prove better value and more machine in the 48" model. You can get the MZ in the 48" with the 26hp Briggs for the same price as the 42" Sport with the Honda engine. So that's more HP with a larger deck for around the same money. But, both great machines, lots of satisfied owners for both machines. Just a matter of what you want and what feels good to you. I love both Hustler and Bad Boy's, so the case of the Sport vs the MZ would be hard for me, but I would probably lean towards the MZ, just for the extra HP.

A little off subject, but something to add about Briggs engines. I remember as a kid mowing my parents lawn and we always had Snapper mowers with the Briggs & Stratton 5hp or 5.5hp engines. Now I am going back late 70's and early 80's, but I remember cutting by hand with a 21" with a 5hp engine over an acre every week and those engines lasted for years. I think people need to remember that these are entry level residential mowers that at the most will be used 20-30 hours a season, depending on what part of the country you are from and the square footage you are cutting. The Briggs engines are fine for what you are doing, I mean why would Hustler and Bad Boy put an engine that is not capable of lasting on their mowers? I am not sure what these Briggs engines are rated, I mean if you got 500 hours out of these engines, it would last you 10 or so years, with proper maintenance and a little luck. Keep them maintained well and you should be fine. I mean any engine can go at anytime, I am sure there are lots of guys that can tell you here that the best of engines can blow at anytime.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Capemay, I have approx. 1/2 acre of mowing in my yard with trees and other obstacles. I also have another approx. 3/4 acre across the road at a church that I mow. Both yards have ditches that I'm sure I could mow with a ZTR. There is also a slight chance for next year to mow an in-town yard for a fella that I do a little yard work for...and that would be the extent of 'extra' mowing I would do...I think . A 48" deck would probably fit in the tightest areas that I mow, but I think a 42" deck would 'fit' better in the ditches...but 6" extra probably wouldn't make a difference. The extra $300-400 for the MZ48 (or Honda powered Sport 42) would be really stretching an already stretched budget from what I had planned to spend on another mower. I'll have to see what kind of financing I can get into. I'd love to pay cash and swing a deal...but can't do it.

After I see and sit on a MZ, I'm pretty sure I'll know which mower I'll be after (compared to the Sport).

Kevin
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Keep them maintained well and you should be fine.
I was re-reading your post and speaking for myself and my mowing, I would agree about the Briggs engines. I think proper maintenance is one of the key factors.

Kevin
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
I was re-reading your post and speaking for myself and my mowing, I would agree about the Briggs engines. I think proper maintenance is one of the key factors.

Kevin
Keep us posted on your demo's and talk with your dealers, try a fudge those numbers on the MZ. I mean you are in Bad Boy country , they em build there. Keep you options open aswell, there may be a left over or a slightly used machine out there and you might get a deal from an anxious seller.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Keep us posted on your demo's and talk with your dealers, try a fudge those numbers on the MZ. I mean you are in Bad Boy country , they em build there. Keep you options open aswell, there may be a left over or a slightly used machine out there and you might get a deal from an anxious seller.
That I am. A demo unit would be fine also.

Oh for a money tree to go buy one right now! I must have patience .

Kevin
Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kevin i have a bank on my property that is between 25 to 30 degrees i mow it both vertically and horizontally the later takes some practice but the mz 48 will cut it both ways
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtharris View Post
Kevin i have a bank on my property that is between 25 to 30 degrees i mow it both vertically and horizontally the later takes some practice but the mz 48 will cut it both ways
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the steepest bank/slope that I mow (the pics are of the same bank/slope from different directions).

Kevin
Attached Images