Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool Best way to grow business?

I am helping my parents with a lawn business we initially bought. We have since purchased 2 other groups of accounts and ended up selling one of the routes purchased as it deemed to far away from our core accounts and too many to do in one day while there.

My question is should we invest in Web marketing to attract new customers while continuing to throw flyers and hang door hangers or should we rely on building revenue and buying business from other lawn companies to grow?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just my .02......An up to date web site is very usefull according to a few of my friends that are in different businesses. A lot of people serch the net. As far as advertising in a paper or phone book for lawn maintaince, its a waste of dollars because you get calls far from where you need to be. You need a tight route to be profitable. Word of mouth is the best advertising. Take a little extra time on each of your present customer properties on each visit to make that property stand out better than any others in the area. Chalk that extra time off to advertising. Each week when you pull up to a property , look at it to see where a tad extra time will make it look better than last week. Your customers will notice, and other property owners around them will also notice. When word gets around that your properties always look the best, your phone will ring. Your mow and blow compition will get pe-oed at you for setting a higher standard, but thats thier problem. As you re-sign contracts for the properties that you have spent extra time on in the past you will be able to up your rates with out a lot of flack because your customers will be happy that you have taken thier property to a higher quality level than the previous company. When you sign up others in the neighbor hood, you start them out at a higher rate than others would charge because you know they want to look as good as the neighbor down the road and they will be willing to pay extra. Treat every customer as if they are the best customer and be flexable with the extra PR work.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

whats a phone book?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a website is an integral part of your marketing plan. You can use this to attract new customers and create a good first impression.

Here's a few tips for your website:

1. Get registered with google local Here is the link: Google Local Business

2. Have the number on your site ring a voicemail service. This will save you time plus will allow you to better present yourself to your clients.

3. Have a method for collecting the email addresses of your potential clients. That way you can stay you can keep in contact with them setting you apart from the rest of other guys. Offer them free tips on how to take care of their lawn plus how to hire a lawn care professional.

A service to collect email addresses: www.aweber.com

4. Use this software to create your site: www.wordpress.org. Very easy to install and keep a site updated with.

For a place to host your site its hard to beat www.hostgator.com and for a site name I always use www.godaddy.com
Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't be without a website. I literally get thousands of dollars in business from my site each month. Just learn to do it well. It' so worth it you wouldn't believe it!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrock View Post
2. Have the number on your site ring a voicemail service. This will save you time plus will allow you to better present yourself to your clients.
I'm assuming the voice mail service you are referring to is not the message a caller gets when I don't answer my phone. Are you referring to a service that has operators answer the phone and take a message? Could you clarify?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Say Rollinrock, I agree with a lot of what you say. I think you have some great marketing ideas. However, I think the answering service is the wrong approach. Every call that comes in is a selling opportunity and I pick up every one personally. That seems like it might be inconvenient but selling and getting new accounts is the #1 most important thing I can do. So it's not an inconveniece. It's a vital function. By the way, I close the sale on more than 60% of these calls. Thanks for your good tips!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you need Voicemail?

Hey CutterCutter, Yeah I'm referring to the message people get when you don't answer the phone.

Here's my take on this part of it. Every time I get a phone call I get distracted and lose my train of thought. It takes a few minutes to get back into what I was doing. Plus, if mowing I don't think its professional to have a lawn mower or weed eater going in the back ground. When I talk to a potential customer the deserve my full attention.

We shouldn't be interrupted because the crew need to go get some lunch.

So I set aside a specific time everyday to do my follow up. This does a few things:

1. Inside the voicemail greeting I tell them I will be calling them at my set time. When I do call them a that time I just showed them I do what I say I'm gonna do. You just built trust with the customer.

2. You don't have to flinch every time you get a phone call I know this stresses me out.

This is just one cog in your marketing system. You do so much marketing. Which create so many phone calls. Which lead to so many jobs. This is stuff you should be keeping track of.

Kudos to rhalverson for such high success on the phone. Your right on the money thinking selling and getting new customers in the door is your #1 priority. But like my grandma used to say there is more than one way to skin a cat.

P.S. For all of those who followed my advice and registered with Google Business I have a few tricks I want to show you to help get better rankings. Meaning when someone searches "Dallas Lawn Care" you show up in the top 3. Contact me before November 20 th and I will more than happy share a few of these tricks with you.

Talk soon.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Rollinrock

Hey Buddy, you sound like you're a good marketer. And you're right, there's more than one way to get a good result.
I, by the way, would be one of those interested in getting some improvement on website action. I get some responses, but I feel like I could be getting more.
Thanks for the good feedback.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To keep growing don't forget about existing customers and the potential to build revenue with existing client base by selling add on services. You would be amazed on how many of your customers do not know all the services you may provide.

*****Keep your name in front of them*******
Visit RNDSigns.com to see exclusive images and layout ideas that are proven tools to grow your business

Tags
growing , lawn care business , marketing , web