Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I go one step further, if people ask me if I'm the owner, I lie and tell them I'm just one of the sprinkler guys. When people know they're dealing with an owner they always seem to expect "extras" and I don't give them. I'm there to do a good job for a fair price but I certainly expect to be paid for everything I've done.
LOL... this reminds me of when I took over my company right after my dad died.... I was 25 and my brother was 23 (and we both looked younger than we really were). We'd go out to bid commercial maintenance and we were always careful to not give the impression that we owned the company. We deliberately never would say who owned the company or what exactly our real titles were. I learned this the hard way after bidding a project and I had a property manager ask me if I was the owner to which I replied yes and then she promptly asked me how old I was! Needless to say we didn't get the bid even though I knew we were within $100 or so of the other bidders.

It's funny how people's perceptions of certain things affect their behavior and attitudes....