Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just now your getting tired of lowballers?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrlawn View Post
The sad thing is this person has been around this area for awhile. He lives not to far from me. What bothers me is people in this area want amazing things done to their yard but want it done at the price he is offering. Then he does a very terrible job. How would you compete with this guy?
Tell them although it is tempting, you don't match prices with your troubled competitors. (Their pricing practices put their own businesses in trouble). If it really didn't that guy would still be servicing that yard. Low ball pricing is not sustainable. Shortcuts will have to be made and eventually even that isn't enough.

The other guy doesn't charge enough to allow enough time onsite to provide any kind of detailed service. It's all production based. They might get some form of the work done but NOT consistantly at the level the client will be happy with. The problem with low balling is that it lowers the potential customer's price expectation. They get baited with a low prices then the service level switches and goes down quickly. These low ball guys hope it doesn't get noticed..

Even charities need money to pay bills and you're not a charity so don't price yourself like one!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like a hobbyist. Probably no insurance or under insured. Wait it out and let him get himself in trouble.

Focus on your own business and try to not let it bother you. I know its hard!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Because this guy is satisfied with the price he charges and the money he makes this makes him a low baller? Did you ever think he looks at you and your prices and thinks you're a rip off?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This use to really piss me off too. Mostly because it wasted my time even talking to these people. Now that my wife works for me and does all the lawn maintenance pricing I don't get my day ruined. She is quite up front about things. If you want this level of service it costs this much. Too high? Somebody else quoted you how much? Here is my card have a nice day. I know it is hard to walk away from money but, I refuse to give away service.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont worry about other people low balling. concentrate on doing quality work everytime. most of the time i bid lawn jobs within 5 to 10 dollars of my competition but my customers say they are happy with my work. sometimes its the little things that you do extra that they notice. Remember that there is just as many people getting out of lawn care as there are getting in. Alot of people get into it for quick money but they won't last.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He's a one man show then he should be able to charge less then you. He also might know exactually what he needs to profit for each lawn and not pick a generic $1 a min price scheme. Honestly for quality there a crap ton of people that could careless tell they see first hand what their lawn could look like.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Competition is the American way. Can be frustrating but the free market allows customers to choose and you to choose which customers to market to. Adapt or find a better business that requires more technical skills.... which by the way is not without competition. Example is computer programmers you can hire overseas to work for $5 - $10 per hour.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tired of low priced competition, then simply diversify your business model with a complete scope of services designed to eliminate low priced competition.

A business built on one service either has to be extremely large or service a wide, economically stable market.

You aren't large enough and the current economic trend stable enough to support a single service business like simply mowing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, diversify, diversify, diversify.

Acquire the appropriate licenses/training for correct chemical applications, irrigation work, arbory, water features - your ability to diversify is limited only by your imagination and perseverance. Once you acquire the diversification pursue the economically stable market demographic and the low priced, poor quality "competition" ceases to be a problem.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Tired of low priced competition, then simply diversify your business model with a complete scope of services designed to eliminate low priced competition.

A business built on one service either has to be extremely large or service a wide, economically stable market.

You aren't large enough and the current economic trend stable enough to support a single service business like simply mowing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, diversify, diversify, diversify.

Acquire the appropriate licenses/training for correct chemical applications, irrigation work, arbory, water features - your ability to diversify is limited only by your imagination and perseverance. Once you acquire the diversification pursue the economically stable market demographic and the low priced, poor quality "competition" ceases to be a problem.
That's some good advice there!