Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a fan or lowballers either but who is.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrlawn View Post
The sad thing is this person has been around this area for awhile. He lives not to far from me. What bothers me is people in this area want amazing things done to their yard but want it done at the price he is offering. Then he does a very terrible job. How would you compete with this guy?

You don't..period.... get out of the mindset where you think you need to. I could give a crap what others charge....
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I was mowing a property the other day and two guys pulled up in a beat up pick up with 2 push mowers in the back and some other beat up lawn equipment to do the lawn next door.

It all looked like they had pulled there equipment out of a dumpster. Of course there over head is almost zero. My overhead is alot higher but then my equipment is alot better quality and will leave the lawn looking alot nicer too.

I wouldnt compete with them, my quality of work and productivity is much higher then theres.

I guess it comes down to finding a balance. Charging enough to make a profit, but also not so much that your draining your customers dry.
Stihl BR 600 Magnum
Stihl FC110
Stihl FS110
Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lowballers survive on the people who just don't want to cut grass. They don't care what the lawn looks like, as long as it's cut. They pay for what they want. It's not like the people don't have a choice. They can pay whoever and how much they want to pay for getting their grass cut.

I think we aughta start hating the home owners that hire the lowballers.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

change your target market. Stop going after people who are so price sensitive because your going to hear this same story over and over again. I have more respect for someone who charges a higher price than someone who lowers theirs because they think they "have to"

Its simple economics and the market dictates how well you do. You dont want to get into a lowballing competition because nobody wins. Manage your expenses and stick to your costs, if you lose some potential business in the process, then so be it.

Apple seems to be doing fine with their $7,000 mac computers or whatever they are. You think they care that Dell and HP are half or even a third of the price? Nope. Why? Different Target Market
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think that's the reason people don't like lowballers the most....it's not that they under bid you and get the job it's that they charge such a cheap price that customers start thinking every lawn company should be just as cheap of a price...so like you said we all lose when people do that...i don't get it really...i mean they are hurting themselves and every other lawn company when they do it...they could be making more money if they just charged the same as everyone else
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, get used to it. There are always going to be lowballers and sh!tty customers. Finding GOOD customers AND workers ARE the keys to success. Didn't take long to figure that one out.

The lowballers end up burning themselves out quick.
The bad customers F you over.
The bad workers, self explanatory.

Just concentrate on quality, all around.

I, personally, like the lowballers. They are motivators for me. They are a clear distinction between quality guys like us and guys just out chasing a 6 pack.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
They are a clear distinction between quality guys like us and guys just out chasing a 6 pack.

Yeah, no crap. I won't chase nothing less than a 12 pack!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradseabridge View Post
what? that's a good price. I charge 45$ on corner lot and they usually end up taking 45mins. I don't price by the minute I price by the size.

My smaller lots that arent on a corner are $35 because they aren't a corner and that take 35mins. $25 for a mow, $5 for trimming, and $5 for edging. Corner lots are $30 for mow, $10 for edging, and $5 for trimming.

Seems fair and just happens for work out to $1 a minute, I didn't go into this planning on getting a dollar a minute it just happened.

I'm sure as hell not going to go any cheaper than that I wouldn't make any money.
Have you considered getting a larger primary mower? Even a 48" would really help with mowing times.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely, but the area I live and work in, ALL my properties have gates. It's not effective for me to buy a 48in and only be able to use it in front yards, I would still need my 32. That said all my gates besides for one will allow a 36 to get through, that's why I'm buying a GS in the 36in variety this winter when the 11's come out.

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.