Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Website leads.

Okay gang. I'm going to propose a hypothetical question. Please try not to get lost in the minutia. I understand that the question can't really be answered accurately without a heck of a lot more information. I'm just looking for opinions and estimates based on past experience.

Here's the set up.

Start up Newbie Lawn Care opens for business in a highly competitive major market.They get a good website built and optimized. They continue to optimize the site for 6 months.

Here's the Hypo. question

How many leads per month should that website produce after 6 months?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Haaaaa what a stupid question. I'm sitting here going over all the factors that you would have to account for to even attempt to answer that question with any accuracy. Looks like I got lost in my own minutiae.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first year (2013) I was the only business in my city with a website so I was ranked #1. My city has 30k people and I got roughly 17 clients from online sources. I am sure they were not all from my site, but online marketing is a must if you want to maximize your growth. This year is my second year and I got an additional 20ish clients from online marketing.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
My first year (2013) I was the only business in my city with a website so I was ranked #1. My city has 30k people and I got roughly 17 clients from online sources. I am sure they were not all from my site, but online marketing is a must if you want to maximize your growth. This year is my second year and I got an additional 20ish clients from online marketing.
Thanks for the input. How many of those leads did you convert into clients? Do you pay for ongoing SEO or Adwords. Do you even worry about it since you are already #1? Do you track exactly where your leads are coming from in order to monitor ROE for the different mediums? Sorry for all the questions, I find this stuff fascinating.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytons View Post
Haaaaa what a stupid question. I'm sitting here going over all the factors that you would have to account for to even attempt to answer that question with any accuracy. Looks like I got lost in my own minutiae.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's great seeing this as your own follow up. And it's not a stupid question. Sometimes, just the very act of typing something out (or saying it to another set of ears) gets your brain thinking of it in ways you previously hadn't. If I had a nickel for every idea spitballing PM or email I had, I'd be rolling in...nickels. lol To me, that's the interesting stuff.

And, yes, way too many variables. Surprisingly enough, I get this question asked very little (although this is likely a byproduct of working primarily with referral clients). I had someone ask it last week and it stood out because of that rarity. I always address it on my own, as it's part of a standard, web marketing discussion (or should be) but I feel it works best to have someone understand expectations and then arrange a conversation for them with someone doing something similar, in a like market. Real world conversations, as can be found with some of the great Lawnsite posters, are more helpful than anything else.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
It's great seeing this as your own follow up. And it's not a stupid question. Sometimes, just the very act of typing something out (or saying it to another set of ears) gets your brain thinking of it in ways you previously hadn't. If I had a nickel for every idea spitballing PM or email I had, I'd be rolling in...nickels. lol To me, that's the interesting stuff.

And, yes, way too many variables. Surprisingly enough, I get this question asked very little (although this is likely a byproduct of working primarily with referral clients). I had someone ask it last week and it stood out because of that rarity. I always address it on my own, as it's part of a standard, web marketing discussion (or should be) but I feel it works best to have someone understand expectations and then arrange a conversation for them with someone doing something similar, in a like market. Real world conversations, as can be found with some of the great Lawnsite posters, are more helpful than anything else.
I find all that stuff fascinating as well. The hamsters in my cranium never stop moving. I too would be rolling in nickels. I actually consider it to be one of my biggest flaws though. If I had a penny for every minute I spent second guessing, or reworking something I thought was inadequate it be rich. I rarely have writers block but more often than not I have implementation block. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's the reason why I don't want to do my own website or produce my own marketing material. I am certain that I could learn to effectively use Wordpress or some other site, but the time I would spend on all the tiny details would completely derail the project. I need to do what I do best and find someone else to do the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Too many variables, yes. But...

If I had to start from scratch next spring I would start on my site in November. No EMD, just the company name (but it would have either the city name or a nice keyword in it). I would get all my basic landing pages done, and then blog every 2-3 days all winter.

I would use "Knowem" to claim every social profile I could. I would manually claim the 20-30 most important citations myself, and (if I had it in the budget) I would have Whitespark build me another 75-100.

In most markets I think I could have some visibility in a few months, but probably not enough to feed my family. So I would use Craigslist, Redbeacon, and Thumbtack to generate leads as well- and Adwords if I could afford. I would avoid Service Master like the plague but give Angieslist a hard look.

I am pretty sure I could put together a 5 day a week route by the end of spring this way. By year two I wouldn't be bothering with Craigslist or Redbeacon. I like the format of Thumbtack, so I might still be utilizing that.

So, how many leads is that? I don't know exactly- probably 200-300 in a 3-4 month period?

Does that sound reasonable Tony?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytons View Post
Thanks for the input. How many of those leads did you convert into clients? Do you pay for ongoing SEO or Adwords. Do you even worry about it since you are already #1? Do you track exactly where your leads are coming from in order to monitor ROE for the different mediums? Sorry for all the questions, I find this stuff fascinating.
Posted via Mobile Device
I only win about 60% of the jobs I do quotes for. My first year I probably did 30+ lawn mowing quotes and ended up with 17 from online sources. This year I have probably done another 30-40 and gained 20ish mowing clients.

I have not paid anyone else to do anything with my SEO. I donít really have any competition, so doing a bit on my own has been good enough for my area to stay number 1. Last year I did adwords, but this year I have not. I canít tell a difference. The reason could be because I am about the only company online in my area so my business probably seems like the only good option to people. If I was in a large market I would be happy to pay good money for a really good site, seo, and marketing in general. With the size of my city it is about impossible to grow beyond 1 truck.

I have not tracked very well where my leads come from. I know itís important but I have been a slacker in that area. When I do marketing that isnít online I always include an offer. It becomes obvious where the lead comes from when they turn in a coupon.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Too many variables, yes. But...

If I had to start from scratch next spring I would start on my site in November. No EMD, just the company name (but it would have either the city name or a nice keyword in it). I would get all my basic landing pages done, and then blog every 2-3 days all winter.

I would use "Knowem" to claim every social profile I could. I would manually claim the 20-30 most important citations myself, and (if I had it in the budget) I would have Whitespark build me another 75-100.

In most markets I think I could have some visibility in a few months, but probably not enough to feed my family. So I would use Craigslist, Redbeacon, and Thumbtack to generate leads as well- and Adwords if I could afford. I would avoid Service Master like the plague but give Angieslist a hard look.

I am pretty sure I could put together a 5 day a week route by the end of spring this way. By year two I wouldn't be bothering with Craigslist or Redbeacon. I like the format of Thumbtack, so I might still be utilizing that.

So, how many leads is that? I don't know exactly- probably 200-300 in a 3-4 month period?

Does that sound reasonable Tony?
I'd say so. It's fairly close to my base process, right down to the number of citations. I have found that critical mass is around 30-40, select, directory listings.

I'd get a skeleton site up asap, visual aesthetics be damned. Local keyword is very helpful (This can be tough due to company names being lengthy, but it does help. Worst case, sub directory or page name with local keywords.) Just get the site up, build your major listings (the big 3, etc), create a Webmaster Tools account, submit the skeleton site, let Google get it indexed, and then start building out. Active curation and revisions do go a long way.

Absolutely take advantage of every free, relevant, lead gen/directory site you can, including the dreaded Craig's List (do it right, people, and it can have great value).

If the budget is there for Adwords, even if only using their matching starter funds, I'd do this as soon as you have an engaging site and appropriate landing pages to send the clicks to.

Right now, as I'm sure you have read, Headz, the Google local algo updates are still in flux. For fresh sites, this is a particular pain point. Aged sites, even a year old, are showing much greater stability than what I'm seeing in 2014-built sites. Those are still on a wild roller coaster ride (Page 1 to Page 6 to Page 2, etc. Same for the 3 and 7 Packs. Highly competitive areas, where we've quickly gone from nothing to the top couple in the 7 Pack, are seeing crazy amounts of shuffling. ).
Old 09-09-2014, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Right now, as I'm sure you have read, Headz, the Google local algo updates are still in flux. For fresh sites, this is a particular pain point. Aged sites, even a year old, are showing much greater stability than what I'm seeing in 2014-built sites. Those are still on a wild roller coaster ride (Page 1 to Page 6 to Page 2, etc. Same for the 3 and 7 Packs. Highly competitive areas, where we've quickly gone from nothing to the top couple in the 7 Pack, are seeing crazy amounts of shuffling. ).
I keep seeing that, though my SERPS have been pretty stable for a couple of weeks now. If links are now playing a more prominent role, as some have said, that could be a problem for newer sites- who probably just don't have as many.