Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2000, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi I have a 85 chevy and the doors are rotted around the door handles.I am considering trying to put door skins on them.Does anybody know if any special tools are needed or any tips.Thanks for any help.<br> Bill cody
Old 02-12-2000, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you are a very good body man( which I suspect you may not be since you would know what tools and effort is needed for this type of repair, no offence meant) buy either a pair of good used doors, or new ones from GM.<br>The price of GM body parts has come way down in recent years, and the Jap parts are junk.<br>You will still need some paint work, but much better then spot welding and seam sealing and crimping and grinding, and filling, and well you get the idea.<br>Dino
Old 02-13-2000, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

No offense taken dino as I am a novice in body work.I tried to locate a set of used ones but they are rare in upstate n.y.I did learn my lesson with those jap ones a few years ago,they were like tin cans.I did not try my local dealer yet I will give them a call and see if I need to take out a second mortgage to buy them.Thanks for the input.<p>Bill
Old 02-16-2000, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In 1992 they were selling for $130 each from GM. Not bad.<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
Old 02-16-2000, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

They were $135 in 1996. GM usually stops producing parts for a past model after 8 years, so you better hurry if you want quality GM parts from GM. I haven't checked on this yet, though. Goodmark I believe might have these doors. If it was made in Taiwan, run, the quality of these are marginal.<p>----------<br>Chris Lucas<br>http://www.wwisp.com/~captkaos
Old 02-16-2000, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi guys I priced gm for the doors the best price I could find was 285 plus tax.I think I will wait and see if some good used ones turn up,thanks<p>Bill
Old 02-16-2000, 04:46 PM
jay

hey bill, before you put your new doors on,<br>clean and degrease the insides, then give<br>them a good greasing or undercoating.<br>The undercoat is less of a mess and won't<br>ooze out.Works well in Hawaii, We're surrounded by ocean and salt.<br>jay