Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

6.0 and snow question

I don't really want to join plow site just to ask this so I am asking it here.

How well do the newer GM 6.0's do pushing snow? Around here on average we will get like 3 inches at once..... sometimes it piles up but that is if you don't stay on it.

Stick with a d-max?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a 06 chevy with a 6.0 and it pushes pretty good pushes just as good as the diesels. We have never had the situation that the truck didn't have enough power to move a snow.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a Chebby guy, but the guys that are don't have a problem with them, they're quite reliable from what they say.

There is no way they are comparable to a D-Max, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

10 years ago there was hardly anybody with a diesel pushing snow. 15 years ago there was basically nobody using them.

It would do just fine unless you're in a heavy snow area.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're into snowplowing for profit (which every good businessman should be ) stick with the 6.0. Far simpler to deal with with more than enough power to ush snow.

The only real downside in this application is that the tranny's aren't as stought as an Allison. If you let the trans shift on it's own, w/o rushing between D & R, you'll have very little, if any, problems with it though. For me, driving and getting used to the lag of an Allison helped alot in treating the gas tranny's well.

The PRO to the 6.0 is that you'll be able to carry alot more plow LEGALLY on the front of the truck, as the 6.0 is quite a bit lighter than the Duramax.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also know those 5.3's and 6.0's (pretty much the same engine design really) like the back of my hand.... the d-max... not so much.

I allways wait for the tranny to shift before I get on the gas.... I also know what mods to get if I am worried about the tranny at all.

I really wanted a d-max for pulling the mowers and for snow but in the end I really don't think it's worth it..... when you figure in the cost of maintenance (parts, oil changes, ect ect) and fuel.

Most of the guys here just do snow on the side when it comes..... it is not frequent and heavy enough to be the sole money maker during the winter...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm no Chevy guy by any means, but i'm sure the gasser will push fine.

For what it's worth i was with my buddy looking at trucks recently and a Chevy salesman told him that You can only get a Duramax with an auto now and no stick, not that I've never met a salesman who didn't know what the he!! he was talking about...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
I'm no Chevy guy by any means, but i'm sure the gasser will push fine.

For what it's worth i was with my buddy looking at trucks recently and a Chevy salesman told him that You can only get a Duramax with an auto now and no stick, not that I've never met a salesman who didn't know what the he!! he was talking about...
I know at least one guy with a d-max 3500 that had a manual and he wished he had an allison..... I know anoher guy that is Ford all the way and has an F-350 with a stick and said the d-max with an allison pulling the same load up hill makes his truck look bad.

Plowing with a stick I doubt would be fun.

It looks like you can't get a manual at all now.

I know Ferrari has the paddle shifted tranny standard and you have to pay a lot more for a manual..... at least that was tru a few years ago. used to be the other way around.

Last edited by Lawn Man Dave; 08-26-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we have an 02 HD with 6.0L and it does just fine. it went from a 7.5' meyer to a 8' commercial meyer to a 9'2" boss V and this year will run a 8'2" poly V. but i never ran into the situation where it couldnt push. now there is a big difference between pushing with a diesel vs. gas. didnt believe it till we got a diesel.

we also have a 1 ton dump with a 5.7L gas motor and it will push till it spins the tires.

had the trans rebuilt on the 02 HD this Feb along with new U joints and almost 2K worth of front end work this month:
new brake lines throughout
new inner tie rods
new ball joints
new passenger cv axle

last fall we replaced both front wheel bearings
Old 08-28-2010, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas or diesel, I imagine any pickup will spin all 4 tires long before it would run out of power while plowing. Diesel will burn less fuel, but the extra 500 pounds of motor plus the plow has got to be murder on the front end while plowing.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have three. A 2004, 2006, and a 2007. All Silverados, all with 6.0, and all with Blizzard power plows they do fine.