Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats wrong with my Burning Bush.?

Any help with what might be wrong with this Bruning Bush? Its planted in soil that has organic and sand, well draning. Southern exposure. There are 14 other burning bushes right next to it that are doing well.
It has gotten even more brown on the same side sence the picture was taken. It has been well watered.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

pics are never clear enough like being there to inspect, but that damage looks similar to spider mite damage, do a white paper test and hold it under the branches and shake, see what falls out(keep in mind that the mites are very tiny so look close). that is where i would start.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check the base of the plant and see that the root crown is ok and the stems leading up to the burned leaves. Could also be heat stroke from the wall and rocks, so be sure the water is getting to ALL the roots.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is a picture from today.As you can see its seems to be spreading. I have looked really close and dont find any evidence of spider mites. It has been a hot summer. All the rest of the burning bushes are all established and doing well, except this one.
Do they require a lot of water to get it established?
Attached Images

Last edited by jonspolaris; 09-01-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonspolaris View Post
Here is a picture from today.As you can see its seems to be spreading. I have looked really close and dont find any evidence of spider mites. It has been a hot summer. All the rest of the burning bushes are all established and doing well, except this one.
Do they require a lot of water to get it established?
Thay are considered an invasive in most states, but they are there so lets see if we can fix it

you did not answer the question whether the crown of the plant was covered with mulch you could have a crown rot issue, it looks fungal to me but it could be anything, hard to tell from the picture

does that part of the plant get wet from irrigation, if it does make sure you only water the soil and not the plant it will spread any fungal disease by keeping the area wet

Has it really hot there was another question, has the sun moved into that area as the season is changing. it could be burn from the hot siding
Old 09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Thecrown is not covered with anything. I was just planted in the ground. It was covered with landscape fabric and stones, but that was pushed away.
Yes its been hot, and its gets full southern exposure.

It doesent get much water from irrigation. I check it in the moring and the leaves are all dry. When I water it, I deep soak it on the soil only.

Sometimes the brown tips of the shrub are dry and brittle, but not always brittle. Its like its to dry, yet the soil is anything but dry.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jons,
?

Wait--you said just planted??? Then too hot and not enough water since the root system hasn't developed yet and penetrated deep enough to sustain sub surface water!!! Wind burn or drought burned foliage.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes it was planted about a month ago. The rest of the bushes were planted several years ago.

Its hard to believe it hasent gotten enough water, as I have deep soaked it everyday to get it established. The soil is moist as far as you can feel down. Yet some of the tips of the leaves are brittle and break off. Its like its too dry, but its not.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jons,
Then I hope the bucket syndrome hasn't occurred. Hard soil surrounding the hole and the backfill stays saturated. Wet feet disease and slow death from root rot!
Don't get me wrong..................just hypothesizing.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

tha sounds more like it now that i get the whole picture