Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealing With The Heat

With the extreme heat each summer(for us midwest and southern guys) I'm wondering what others are doing to minimize heat exhaustion, fatigue, and just get through the days easier. Down here in Texas, its over 100* every summer and recently we had a period where it was 105*+ every day.

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First and most obvious thing is drink plenty of water. I carry around a huge jug and drink constantly. I also wear a hat, it certainly helps keep your face cool. I also take 15 minute breaks every couple of hours. On days when yards are close, you get only a few minutes before your out there again.

One thing you can do, although a little extreme, is drinker warm water instead of cold water. Warm, not hot. Use to do this during soccer and you will drink almost twice as much because its not as refreshing. I dont do that any more. Cold is so much better
Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like tex said, drink plenty of water and wear a hat. Look for shade and take a break BEFORE you need it. I also found that cranking up my blower on the trailer and standing in front of it is a quick way to bring your body temp down.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Industry Pro View Post
With the extreme heat each summer(for us midwest and southern guys) I'm wondering what others are doing to minimize heat exhaustion, fatigue, and just get through the days easier. Down here in Texas, its over 100* every summer and recently we had a period where it was 105*+ every day.

I always laugh when I hear that its hot in Texas. The house we live in now we bought from a couple that were selling it and moving to Texas, we bought it and they moved to Texas. Then six months later we hear they moved back saying it was too hot in Texas.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a problem with my heart a couple of years ago from dehydration, I was drinking plenty of water taking breaks and it still happened.
Th cardiologist said water does not help the body enough when you are sweating so bad in the extreme heat.
He said you have to replace the electrolights with gator aide or power aide.
Now days my health comes before any job, I can always get another job.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I keep a wet towel around my neck, stop every once n a while and put it on my head and move it around. It takes a lot of heat out and when I pass a h2o facet i let the water run down from my elbows. Each trip to the truck I drink a lot of water and Gator aid.
AND dont get in a BIG hurry.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I dirnk lots of water and wear a hat. Some ice from the cooler now and again on my neck.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This works better than a regular towel.

Frogg Togg Chilly Pad
Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i do what most have already suggested. drink plenty of water, take breaks when needed and don't get in a big hurry.

i realize time is money but when it's hot out i take my time. if i need to stop mid way through a yard i'm mowing i go to the truck sit for 5 min. and drink some water. i also bring some gatoraide with me. more for the flavor than anything. i do just fine with just water.

the heat doesn't really bother me to much when i'm doing the yards i trim, mow with the larger mowers and blow. it's the 21 incher that slows me down. if i gotta do one of those yards i take it nice and slow.

i'm also not afraid to cut my days short if it gets to hot. i'll mow until the heat has arrived and then call it a day. getting sick on the job is not an option when your solo. i'd rather work some half days and be behind than try and stay on schedule, get really sick and not be able to work at all until i'm better.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
I had a problem with my heart a couple of years ago from dehydration, I was drinking plenty of water taking breaks and it still happened.
Th cardiologist said water does not help the body enough when you are sweating so bad in the extreme heat.
He said you have to replace the electrolights with gator aide or power aide.
Now days my health comes before any job, I can always get another job.
Absolutely true! Being a retired Army medic I learned a few things about working in the heat over the last 20 years. Two simple elements sodium and potassium are what makes your heart work. Tipping the scale either way can put you in life ending arrhythmia ( irregular heartbeat ). You lose both elements through sweat and urination. Potassium also has anti-cramping properties. Sports drinks do a great job of replenishing these elements and taste good which encourages you to drink more. One more thing, wear a hat with a wide brim. My personal favorite is the floppy boonie hat, the new ones have UV protection and you can dip it in your icy cooler water for instant relief. Skin cancer on your ears and nose is a horrible sight. Stay safe guys it's not getting any cooler out there.