Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

That's one of the things I need to think about more. I feel if it's lower, as I had previously envisioned, it would require a skimmer and more plumbing up to the bio-falls. I think if it's the same level but deeper, then I just need a small submersible pump to return the water to the original pond.

I am a bit concerned that if I don't plan this correctly, there could be some big time issues, like stale water etc.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's look at this more closely.
Whether the add-on pond is the same as the existing water level or lower is in itself not the primary concern. As you stated, dead spots should be avoided, but more importantly you will need to have skimming action in the add-on. With the skimmer in it's present position, the direction of the water flow, as dictated by the flow from the Waterfall will carry most debris past the skimmer into the add-on. This would cause major problems from sediment accumulation.The addition of a smaller pump in the add-on plumbed to the present pond will not actually be of any great benefit.

The logical and cheaper option is to move the existing Skimmer to the add-on Pond. The expense for the additional plumbing components will be nowhere near the cost of an additional pump and it's required plumbing components.

You might be concerned about the hole left in the liner when the Skimmer is moved. That problem is easily overcome, but we can get into that later.

I would definitely recommend that the add-on be lower than the existing pond. You will be able to avoid any seaming and will actually look and function better.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

You are suggesting that I do make the extension lower. Hmmmm I think that would look nicer, but I have to deal with the skimmer. You said the hole left from the existing liner is easy to overcome. Good...how?

The really good thing about this is that I've got all winter to plan, draw and re-plan and re-draw til I get what will work best. I have learned so much just by doing this one, I can't believe how much you guys that do it regularly must have crammed inside your head.

All the advice and help I received from this forum is priceless. I'd love to take you all out and buy you a beer....
Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will send you a PM over the weekend on how to accommodate for the hole left by the skimmer. Don't want to share ALL of my secrets with everyone!!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, we have several intentional holes that we dug around our pond.
the hole is filled with a big pot. These pots house plants that get
big -- such as lotus and taros that get about 6 foot tall.
This way if you have a small pond you don't have to worry about
a huge lotus taken over the pond or koi digging in the po or
knocking over the pot.
The beauty of it unless we point it out to the tourists they think
the lotus ot taro is in the pond.

this photo shows the lotus (early in the season) starting to grow...it's to the right of the dock.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

this is it in bloom...

Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Well the expansion of the pond has begun. My neighbour had to rent a mini backhoe to finish his septic re-do, so I offered to split the cost if he'd dig me a hole, and he was happy with the offer. And he needed so fill, so that worked out great all around....I got my hole dug, and he got the fill he needed, now I just have to wait until spring and get it done as soon as the ground frost has left.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the dimensions of the addition? Looks to be decent size!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

It's 13' X 17" X approx. 3' deep. When he was digging , as he got to about 4' it started filling with water.....so he returned some dirt back and hopefully I can work with it as is next spring.

I presume once I have the liner in and filled with water, the ground water will be pushed down.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara Falls View Post
I presume once I have the liner in and filled with water, the ground water will be pushed down.
Sorry, but no. That will not be the case. Hydrostatic pressure from the ground water is more than sufficiently strong enough to overcome the weight of the Pond water. It will push the liner up and could conceivably create what is called a 'Whale'

Try to stay a least 1 foot above the ground water level (table) in planning the depth of the addition. The water table depth will change with precipitation, so the you should plan accordingly.

BTW, that is a nice size addition. It will at least double your original capacity.