Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could not get good enough object definition on Google Earth or Bing Aerial Maps. Both images did indicate, as doe the last picture that you posted, that your yard is bowl shaped. As such it will serve as a catch basin for rain. Somewhere in the distant past it was probably a natural Pond that has filled in over the years. The excavation photo shows what appears to be fairly rich soil, which is expected in an old wetlands site.
You are also quite close to the St. Lawrence River. What is you property elevation relative to the river level?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I am quite close to the St. Lawrence, but about 100 feet above it. Yes this piece of land I sit on was a "swamp" before the Ackerman's, who the road is named for, filled it in and sold it off as a building lot. Before I put the original pond in I asked one of the Ackerman's about how much the land was lifted and he told me they raised it at least 25 feet above the water level.

The odd thing here is, that when I originally excavated for the pond, a friend who was using/learning the machine dug a hole about 15' deep just where the new hole is.....I think it all has to do with my neighbour digging a ditch to drain his yard.
Two summers ago we had the wettest,rainiest summer on record and there was not a puddle any where near this one.

The rep at EasyPro Ponds thinks the multi vent might not work and he suggests a sump pump system.

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 11-17-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling...typing with one hand isn't the easiest
Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I find the statement that the property level was raised 25 feet highly suspect. That is one helluva lot of dirt Not to mention what are apparently old growth trees growing on the property.

The neighbors ditch may be the cause if it is diverting water to your property. If it is you may have legal recourse.

As to the suggestion of utilizing a sump pump, that could become costly as the water would need be pumped far enough away from the installation site so as not to flow back, but not where it would impact another's property.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I find that to be suspect also, I think more like 5 feet based on what the ground level is across the road.

I'm attaching 2 pictures to show where I would route a drain line from a sump pump away from the expansion and end in the ditch by the county road. This drains down away from my lot.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

And the circled area is some exposed tree roots. When digging where the excavation is now, the machine had a hard time pulling up some roots and we had to cut them with a chainsaw.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like a lot of extra and maybe unnecessary work and expense.

One possible solution is below. It would involve the purchase of an additional skimmer and pump, but I think it is workable. Drawing is not accurately scaled.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm, gives me more to ponder. Thanks tad
Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Seems like a lot of extra and maybe unnecessary work and expense.

One possible solution is below. It would involve the purchase of an additional skimmer and pump, but I think it is workable. Drawing is not accurately scaled.
I'm presuming that the arrow pinwheel represents the tree. I was outside today with a level, 2 x 4 , tape measure etc., and I'm still unsure of how to proceed.

My wife is adamant that the expansion does not take out her rose garden, which is to the right in the pics. But she does understand the concern about ground water. Her last question was....why is it here now and wasn't last year or the year before? I checked across the road and I don't think what he did with his trench could result in my ground water level increase. He has diverted it to the ditch that runs along the back of our properties.

Hmmmmm
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As an old time gardener myself, I appreciate you wife's feelings about her Rose garden. If you disturbed any of my "prized" plantings, I would have to shoot you.

Can you post a picture that encompasses the present Pond and the area to the right?

The change in the ground water level could be caused by several factors. Obviously something has changed the movement and/or amount of the ground water within the past year. What is the level of the river as compared to past years? Have there been any major construction/excavation in your general area within the past year? Did you have a larger annual rainfall the past 12 months? Does the ditch that you refer to have standing water? Are there any natural springs in your general area?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

The river level was it's lowest in recorded history this last summer. That was because we had such a mild winter and very little snowfall here and in Northern Ontario, where the river gets it's water from.
The latest statistic on rainfall I could find are June 2010 and we had twice the normal amount.
This what I could find for this past summer. It's from Environment Canada:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/adsc-cmda/defaul...n&n=8095A8CC-1

It didn't rain as often as last summer, but when it did rain, it was a downpour, lots of flash flooding.

And nere are a couple of pics of the area to the right.
Attached Images