Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Bigger Job got out of hand!

Have about a 3 acre job I do and with all the rain it in the Northeast it just went wild. I talked to the guy who owns it and he says I can use a Scagg he has housed in one of the buildings there. It is an older 48 inch model but I used it last night and man it was quick. I talked to my brother in law who has a 60 inch toro z master and he said I could use his to finish up today if I wanted. He knows I am starting to look for a used mower this fall. I took it out to finish up the job this morning a it is just a beast! Wet tall grass no problem. I hope to have enough cash this fall to get a used 52 inch as I have some smaller properties too. The Scagg was ok, a little trickier to handle than the Toro, faster but not quite as powerful.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to keep in mind that if you do a lot of residential houses, a 52 inch won't fit in all gates. My 48" barely fits in a majority of the gates, but so far I've been okay. If I could go back, I would probably considered getting a 36 instead. Bigger isn't always better in the lawn care business.

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get a 52" and a 36" or a 21".
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. One day I might be able to get a couple of different sizes. The 52 I think is perfect for current customer base, no gates yet.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe you took on a 3acre job without at least having a 48" ZTR. I've had to do 1 acre on my backup 36" WB when my Z was down and it felt like the job that wouldn't end.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I Know!

Made on rookie mistake on that job but I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Cub Cadet Recon brand new for 4800.00. Have some cash to put down should have it paid in about 1 1/2 years or less. They have 2.9% financing as well. I'm not sure how you guys feel about them but from research I've done they sound pretty solid (built on the "Tank" design). I have not bought it yet but in the mean time if I don't get it I can use his scagg or bro in law's toro. Any input on the CC appreciated.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not an advocate of financing anything!!! But I bought a TT 48 on 0% for 48 months earlier this year. With a good sulky, I could mow 3 acres.