Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2010, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlouki01 View Post
Go to prison for stealing.. lose a hand.. bet you won't be back. Sexually assault someone's daughter? Lose some other parts... good chance you won't be on the re-offend list anytime soon.
This is a little archaic and I don't believe it would be that affective. Stealing and sexually assaulting a minor are two different issues. What I find disappointing is that we have a prison system that is not efficient in rehabilitating criminals and addressing Chester molesters psychological issues. Everyone talks punishment, but no one talks rehabilitation. Rehabilitating criminals is the solution. Unfortunately no one has figured out how, the prisons only seem to perpetuate the problem.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
How about this story? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497517 Should he get a shot at the NFL?

Guy made a very poor decision at 16, and will live with it forever. But has owned up to it every step of the way. Could be an NFL player except for this one poor decision. It's a long article BTW.
I have a lot of opinions on this overall topic that I will get to in another follow up post (yep, I think that highly of myself!)..But I did want to address this particular case. I read this article earlier in the week and personally I think it's another sympathy piece from ESPN that upon further analysis isn't very true. For starters, the nfl has a nickname commonly referred to as the National Felons League for a reason, it's the biggest billion dollar business you will ever find that willingly hands out second, third, fourth and fifth chances to criminals. Leonard Little, Pac Man Jones, Dontae Stallworth this is just a short list of people who have all been directly or heavily involved in the death of someone else but still were welcomed back to the league.

My point is, if this guy were really as talented as the article leads you to believe he would be in the NFL. In fact, if he were talented enough to start on any NFL team he would be in the league. The bottom line is it sounds like the story of a guy pursuing a dream that he probably just isn't good enough for, but conveniently ESPN found a storyline that made it appear he was being blackballed. Espn regularly paints problem players as the victims and isn't a firm stalwart of accountability. If this guy was a pro bowl talent he could have slept with his sister and followed it up with a dui manslaughter count and still been in the league. Me personally, I don't know anything about the guy or his background. I have heard a lot of excuses made for him about his "life" which granted I have never walked a day in his shoes. That being said, I can't imagine ever looking at my sister in a manner that leads me to have sexual feelings towards her and im not sure I want to understand that.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now for the original topic response. I can't help but believe we are a country that everyday takes a firm step backwards in relation to accountability. At the end of the day though, in the real world outside the media sympathy, generally you are screwed if you decide to walk the path of a criminal. Granted, white collar crime is often much more accepted, that being said im not really sympathetic to people who knowingly put themselves in bad situations.

By in large, once you have a felony or significant blemish on your record then you have a lot of proving to do outside the realm of saying your sorry. Unfortunately, most "2nd chancers" rarely believe in this approach and for the most part our country fosters their lack of accountability. If you are a former criminal and you are given a 2nd chance, you better knock my socks off with your new found work ethic, attitude and overall eagerness to be a great employee. This is rarely the case and often times it's the small business that ends up paying the price.

I find our handling of criminals and the collapse of the manufacturing and production side of our country very similar. We became to lazy as a people to realize the importance of manufacturing in our country. We decided it was cheaper to let someone else do it and we could wash our hands of the tough part of business. Ultimately, there will come a time where we can become held hostage by a large portion of the world because we don't have skilled labor for manufacturing, we don't have any factories and we have basically given up on all resources. As a country, we are the middle man to success and riches. Eventually everyone cuts out the middle man.

My correlation between these two points is, our country has become to lazy to hold people accountable. We are scared of the ramifications of telling someone "this is the real world, nobody gives a damn about how hard your life has been and it surely doesn't justify you being a criminal". So to quit my blow hard point, I don't feel any responsibility to provide someone with a 2nd chance. But if they put themselves in a position to prove me wrong, then I certainly would be rational about them being a part of my company. It's their job and responsibility to find that way to get their foot in the door.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Clockwork Orange rehabilitation.
One very interesting discussion I had with my daughter in England is the difference in criminal rehabilitation. Murderers get out in 10 years with a full opportunity to get back into society. A farmer killing a burglar gets sent to prison. She never came to appreciate the CLOCKWORK ORANGE novel until she moved to England. She is so accustomed to TX justice which is lock em up or fry em assuming they aren't killed by the victim first. She prefers TX justice.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Clockwork Orange rehabilitation.
One very interesting discussion I had with my daughter in England is the difference in criminal rehabilitation. Murderers get out in 10 years with a full opportunity to get back into society. A farmer killing a burglar gets sent to prison. She never came to appreciate the CLOCKWORK ORANGE novel until she moved to England. She is so accustomed to TX justice which is lock em up or fry em assuming they aren't killed by the victim first. She prefers TX justice.
I read BBC news every morning and am always surprised by English leniency. They also have serious gun control and the cops don't carry guns. They reintroduce criminals into society with different identities, instead of trying to identify them they try to give them a new start.

Your daughter may have mentioned the case of the 12 year old boys that raped and killed the 6 year old and the subsequent result?

I don't know the stats, but wonder what their rehabilitation rates are? I wonder how their murder, crime, and drug rates compare to ours?

I am not advocating leniency I am advocating rehabilitation. All these advances in technology and we can't figure out how to rehabilitate a criminal?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Did the off-topic forum get shut down?
Apparently... even though a good topic.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

My biggest hang up with hiring a convicted sex offender is the complicated issue with my clients. What if this new hire is hard working, shows up on time etc etc for 2 years. Then out of the blue they rape a client's child. I would lose my client base and my business with it. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze in this situation. I believe in second chances but to a point. If it means me losing or jeopardizing my business I say no, not for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an felon working for me. He does an excellent job. Hired him off work release. If he messed up, back to jail. Alaways there, always on time, always did a good job. Had a job with me waiting when he got out on probation.
I have hired two ex-felons and both worked out. One ok and one excellent. Of course, one must use caution. I would not hire a sex offender or a thief. I do worry that customers would be concerned if they found out. If no one will hire them what choice do they have other than to go back to crime?