Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

update of septic system locate

non-metalic pipes and tanks are hard to find unless you can introduce a sonde or fishtape for a locatable signal.

i had to dowse the pipes for a septic system with a fiberglass tank and no reasonable access.

i feel pretty good, all pipes and the tank were deep but the locate was pretty much dead on, pretty happy about that too.

the water service, the tank and the inlet pipe were within five feet of each other making everything a little bit harder to identify.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like fun, I wish I had the time to find crap.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim,

I've got a property that we've been having hellish water issues at. I've shut down zones in the sprinkler system and turned off all the nozzles while zones are runnign to prove that there isn't a leak there but the homeowner is convinced there's a buried sprinkler head or something (there's a LARGE landscaping project going on). House was built in the 50's and there is a good chance that there is an abandoned septic somewhere on the property.

Anyway, if you dig a hole and walk away from it for a bit, when you come back the bottom of it will have a few inches of water. The "water table" here seems to be about 8 - 10 inches down. Obviously it's killing plants and I'd like to be the hero that finds the source of all this water but the only thing I'm fairly certain of is that the sprinkler system isn't the source. The soil is loam on top (built up beds) with silt underneath. It has essentially no drainage but it's been dry and hot here for several weeks.

Any suggestions? What would you charge to come find the source for me? That's a serious question, she's got the money and if we could guarantee a resolution, she'd pay your travel and for your time.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Jim,

I've got a property that we've been having hellish water issues at. I've shut down zones in the sprinkler system and turned off all the nozzles while zones are runnign to prove that there isn't a leak there but the homeowner is convinced there's a buried sprinkler head or something (there's a LARGE landscaping project going on). House was built in the 50's and there is a good chance that there is an abandoned septic somewhere on the property.

Anyway, if you dig a hole and walk away from it for a bit, when you come back the bottom of it will have a few inches of water. The "water table" here seems to be about 8 - 10 inches down. Obviously it's killing plants and I'd like to be the hero that finds the source of all this water but the only thing I'm fairly certain of is that the sprinkler system isn't the source. The soil is loam on top (built up beds) with silt underneath. It has essentially no drainage but it's been dry and hot here for several weeks.

Any suggestions? What would you charge to come find the source for me? That's a serious question, she's got the money and if we could guarantee a resolution, she'd pay your travel and for your time.
you don't need me, but thanks for the offer

i would be both arrogant and foolish to guarantee positive results on;

a site unseen

a groundwater issue

unexplainable water incursion

bcg, answer these questions;

the supply, well or municipal?

do you have a meter available to check flow with?

can you install a plumbers loop with a meter in the non-metered pressure lines?

do you have a master valve for the irrigation?

a septic system does not produce water, it conveys water.

you can perform tests as well as i can and for a lot less money.

if you test the supply for the house, the irrigation system, any out buildings and spigots without results look towards artesian water or incursion from neighbors.

local well drillers are a good source of information on groundwater levels and artesian sources.

check your pm later

thanks again

jim
Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Municipal water.

Meter stops when household and irrigation outlets are off.

I'm not sure what a plumber's loop is but all city supplies are metered here.

No master valve.

We had over 9" of rain in July, is it possible that an old septic could have collected that in reverse through the leach field and is now giving it back?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What area of Texas?
Is it possible that there's a leak on a nearby property or city mainline that may be causing the issue?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Houston. Doubtful, it's all over the acre sized property. That would be a heck of a big leak. Everything around it is an acre or more as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=bcg;3697076]Municipal water.

Meter stops when household and irrigation outlets are off.

I'm not sure what a plumber's loop is but all city supplies are metered here.

No master valve.

We had over 9" of rain in July, is it possible that an old septic could have collected that in reverse through the leach field and is now giving it back?[/QUOTE]

not likely a tank holds, let's say 1200 gals.,it has an inlet at -6", it has an outlet at -12".

the tank will only drain to the outlet, maybe 150 gals.

a plumbers loop or patch, consists of 4 - 45's or 90's to make an offset for testing or repairs.

a test loop also includes a couple of unions for repair, a meter can be installed temporarily in-line with the loop

you've asked the same questions i would.

i question un-metered leakage to the neighbors and groundwater.

ask the neighbors about their water usage and check their meter.

also ask the drillers about artesian water.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Jim,

You need to verify where the real water table is. You can do that here.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm

See attached report for downtown Houston.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf tx_houston_water_table.pdf (1.84 MB, 5 views)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kiril,

That's super helpful. Am I reading this correctly that the average depth to water table is 31cm (or about 12") on the attached? The property in question is in the Nahatchie Loam section.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Depth_to_Water_Table-Harris_County,_Texas.pdf (563.4 KB, 22 views)