Register free!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The irrigation system has been placed in my hands! what to do!!!!

Today while I was at a customers house, the homeowner comes out and started talking to me and asked me if i can take over the maintenance of irrigation system. She told me that the people for whatever reason just stopped maintaining it and now its in my hands. Which I really don't mind......might be nice to get a little experience in that field (Lawn maintenance & landscaping is my cup of tea). So I asked her for the manual to run the system so I can review over it. So Im asking all you pro's for any tips, advice or just anything that might be of use to me. The system is a Rain Bird and the heads are Rain Bird 5000....not sure if thats useful to anyone but there you go! THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get your hands in something that you know nothing about. This is a job for irrigation experts. Develop a referral agreement with a local irrigation company and they return the favor for lawn maintenance.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

replace everything with products from Orbit
Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD View Post
Today while I was at a customers house, the homeowner comes out and started talking to me and asked me if i can take over the maintenance of irrigation system.

So Im asking all you pro's for any tips, advice or just anything that might be of use to me.
I am working with four landscaper/lawn care pro's in the different locations that I work in. They won't do irrigation, and I don't cut grass or landscape. I refer my clients to them, and I do all of their irrigation work. It works great for everybody.

Mick
Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I see well I'm gathering I need to check around my area and make a phone call to a reputable irrigation company. Im also glad that after being in this industry for 8 years ive decided to go back to school part time....well not even that....just 2 classes at night. I will take an irrigation course next semester which should give me a general understanding and should be pretty interesting. Thanks for everyones input! wow im glad i found this website!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
replace everything with products from Orbit
I actually see Orbit a lot down here; drive by dikheads... install a 2" Orbit mist head on a 3" riser so that the head is 1" above grade & then blame the LCO for breaking the sprinklers.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I see well I'm gathering I need to check around my area and make a phone call to a reputable irrigation company. Im also glad that after being in this industry for 8 years ive decided to go back to school part time....well not even that....just 2 classes at night. I will take an irrigation course next semester which should give me a general understanding and should be pretty interesting. Thanks for everyones input! wow im glad i found this website!
Check Rainbird for the irrigation course; they have a beginners course they'll send you on CD in exchange for money ( at least they used to) you get some basics and move up from there.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You are taking our advice!.......Stunning that makes you a rare bird. Come back and i'm sure you will be warmly received.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

now if only Heidi Montag would place her breast enhancement surgery in my hands......
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oak ridge out side of greensboro? If so call Toms Creek or Southern Lawns maybe one could help