Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Question about Palm and Tree Trimming

For guys that trim palms and trees, do you haul the fronds and limbs away or leave them at the curb for city pickup? I have been hauling them either to the county dump (which is an hour away) or leaving them on my curb for pickup, but it would be a lot easier to leave them on the customers curb for pickup. Many LCOs in my area do this, you just have to trim the trees on a Tuesday to have the limbs picked up Wednesday morning.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have two recycling centers within 5 miles of my house. I haul everything to one or the other. During leaf collection I alternate between the centers just to keep from ticking anyone off. I always haul my stuff away. Orlando is a huge area compared to where I live. I'm surprised they don't have facilities to accommodate the community.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I always give the homeowner the option ..Either i can leave them on the street for bulk pickup or they can pay me to take it to the dump ...The homeowners usually will go with just leave it there for the garbage to take ...They feel like they are paying the city for trash removal anyway ..I hate going to the dump but i have to twice a week anyway..
Old 08-25-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I have two recycling centers within 5 miles of my house. I haul everything to one or the other. During leaf collection I alternate between the centers just to keep from ticking anyone off. I always haul my stuff away. Orlando is a huge area compared to where I live. I'm surprised they don't have facilities to accommodate the community.
I don't believe they have many facilities near me...the only place I go is the county dump which is about an hour outside Orlando. thanks for the help though!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Leaf Above View Post
I always give the homeowner the option ..Either i can leave them on the street for bulk pickup or they can pay me to take it to the dump ...The homeowners usually will go with just leave it there for the garbage to take ...They feel like they are paying the city for trash removal anyway ..I hate going to the dump but i have to twice a week anyway..
Thanks, I will give the customers the option from now on. Before I was just hauling off and charging for it.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

down here we have vegetation pickups...if it's going to get picked up by the city, i leave it. the customer is already paying for it and i hate loading and unloading and going to the dump...i can care less about the extra $30.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my city, everything has to fit into an automated pick up bin. If it does not fit into the green bin, city does not touch it. Bulky item pick up does not take green waste either. So, unless you have a box dump and a chipper-shredder, it is not a good idea to have anything to do with cutting trees or palms. There are operations that cut palms and trees without shredding. However, it is my guess that they have a large property that the refuse can be dumped at. Dump fees for green waste are over $30 per ton, not to mention gas and time.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is not related to the post in any way but you guys are from FL. I was first introduced to Mowing/Landscaping in Orlando. I started when I was 16. I used to take those Fu*in Palmetto bushes and clean them up so the foliage was only coming out of the tops, thin them out a little, and clean them up (kinda like a palm tree) put a nicely edged/mulched bed around them and the customers would flip there wigs!!! Every time.

To tell you the truth it was easy.. I made there properties stand out like Hotels and they loved it. You guys should try it sometime.

The contractors that put in those cookie cutter homes would do all the hard work leaving the palmettos in nice little small groups.. Id just go in and basically clear the bases around them so you could see through and they look like small palm trees.

I know you guys know what I'm talking about. On a corner lot the contractors would leave a palm tree or cypress or something and at the base would be this cluster fu*k of palmetto bushes. Those are the ones I'm talking about... You clean that up put a nice bed around it and they will trip out...

Anyway my customers ate that sh*t up. I ended up moving north, forgot about landscaping for a while. Now here I am.

97' ISUZU NPR (16' bed)
John Deere F687 60" 7iron w/MCS
John Deere GS30 36"
John Deere GS45 48"
John Deere JS45 21"
Stihl FS80 Pro Trimmer
Stihl FS46 Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
Stihl BR56 X2
Stihl BR600 X2
Red Roo Auger
BRD-280 Bed Redefiner
Echo PE-280 Stick Edger
Echo SHC 212 Hedge Trimmer
Bluebird 24" De-Thatcher
Olathe 88 Plug Aerator
Yard Machines walk-behind Edger
Craftsman Lawn Vacuum/chipper
2-Homelite BP250 backpack blowers
McCullock FR56 Trimmer

Last edited by Johnny test; 08-26-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

FP, I was taking my stuff to Kissimmee, there was a landfill behind midevial times on 192...but i was working the south side of orlando so t was a pretty quick trip..
Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
FP, I was taking my stuff to Kissimmee, there was a landfill behind midevial times on 192...but i was working the south side of orlando so t was a pretty quick trip..
Marc I cant believe what your saying.. I used to work and live on 192.. Did you go to Gateway High? or Denn John Middle school? How old are you?
It's funny in another post you said something about being in orlando or mowing in 92' I was mowing on 192 in Kissimmee in 89,90,91. I used to do the Osceola Mall.

97' ISUZU NPR (16' bed)
John Deere F687 60" 7iron w/MCS
John Deere GS30 36"
John Deere GS45 48"
John Deere JS45 21"
Stihl FS80 Pro Trimmer
Stihl FS46 Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
Stihl BR56 X2
Stihl BR600 X2
Red Roo Auger
BRD-280 Bed Redefiner
Echo PE-280 Stick Edger
Echo SHC 212 Hedge Trimmer
Bluebird 24" De-Thatcher
Olathe 88 Plug Aerator
Yard Machines walk-behind Edger
Craftsman Lawn Vacuum/chipper
2-Homelite BP250 backpack blowers
McCullock FR56 Trimmer

Last edited by Johnny test; 08-26-2010 at 10:04 PM.