Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I buy DDG at a famer's feed store in pellet form and it is very easy to handle and spread. Does it have the same fungus suppressing qualities as pure corn meal?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great info Marcos.

Thanks Barefoot!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis de sod View Post
I buy DDG at a famer's feed store in pellet form and it is very easy to handle and spread. Does it have the same fungus suppressing qualities as pure corn meal?
Do you buy it in bulk or in sacks?
To date, we have yet to experiment with DDG as a substitute for corn meal for disease control.
Maybe the initial quality problems we've experienced could be that we've simply run into inferior or somewhat aged lots. Random clumps & persistent caking on impellers have both been aggravating problems.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm waiting for a $1 bills to be used as mulch debate.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we work with a company in WI that swears by DDG, they say what they get at $250 per ton is very dry no clumping and works well in a spreader, they also like the mix of micronutrients that are in it and get some weed and disease suppression

they pick it up directly from the ethanol manufacturer

you can't work around if you are the wagon though, it smells like booze
Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Do you buy it in bulk or in sacks?
To date, we have yet to experiment with DDG as a substitute for corn meal for disease control.
Maybe the initial quality problems we've experienced could be that we've simply run into inferior or somewhat aged lots. Random clumps & persistent caking on impellers have both been aggravating problems.
Marcos,
I buy it in bulk, it is in smooth solid pellets extruded at about 1/4 inch diameter. It is a common format for animal feeds. It flows easily, scoops like shelled corn (only the grain, not the cob for you city boys ) and only clumps if you get it wet. It will store for quite a while and they also will bag it for an extra $2 per 50 lbs. bag. I have spread it with a John Deere tow behind spreader and will do it with my Eco-Lawn applicator this spring.
Since it is mostly pellets the coverage is not as complete as a powder, the same 1/2 teaspoon of material is sitting in the middle of 10 square inches of soil instead of powdering the whole area. I don't know if that is a problem after there has been some water and mowing activity on the lawn. It seems to have worked well for me.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=marquis de sod;3789375] I have spread it with a John Deere tow behind spreader and will do it with my Eco-Lawn applicator this spring.
Since it is mostly pellets the coverage is not as complete as a powder, the same 1/2 teaspoon of material is sitting in the middle of 10 square inches of soil instead of powdering the whole area. QUOTE]
How is the Eco-lawn working for you? Can you affect the spreading rate? whats a good rate per 1000 sf - alfalfa, soy, cotton seed meals.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Barefoot James;3789646]
Quote:
I have spread it with a John Deere tow behind spreader and will do it with my Eco-Lawn applicator this spring.
Since it is mostly pellets the coverage is not as complete as a powder, the same 1/2 teaspoon of material is sitting in the middle of 10 square inches of soil instead of powdering the whole area. QUOTE]
How is the Eco-lawn working for you? Can you affect the spreading rate? whats a good rate per 1000 sf - alfalfa, soy, cotton seed meals.
I really like the eco-lawn. I have put on @ 30 tons of compost this summer and did some sand as well. You can't fill it up with sand, too heavy for the belt, but I have heaped it with compost and not much problem. If I was going to change anything I would give the agitator teeth by the discharge door a little more clearance so they don't jam with a little stick or clod of dirt when you get some debris in your 'post.
I have only spread a little DDG with it and didnt vary the rate, should work fine, the door will go from fully shut to about 4 inches open . I did some soy bean meal but it went on really heavy because it is so flowable and went out under the door in the space made by the cleats on the discharge belt. The size of the pellets and higher rate of application make then more suitable to use in the EL.
As for rates of application, I usually put on between 5-10#/K for the meals and around 20 for the DDG.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
we work with a company in WI that swears by DDG, they say what they get at $250 per ton is very dry no clumping and works well in a spreader, they also like the mix of micronutrients that are in it and get some weed and disease suppression

they pick it up directly from the ethanol manufacturer

you can't work around if you are the wagon though, it smells like booze
That's good to hear about a chance of weed suppression.
But if this is true, just like with CGM, one would probably want to steer clear of using DDG immediately before & after renovation.

Yeah, we already had 1 customer call about the alcohol smell.
She has a large screened in patio and I guess there was enough of a residual odor to make her think something shady could've been going on in her back yard!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Marcos,
I buy it in bulk, it is in smooth solid pellets extruded at about 1/4 inch diameter. It is a common format for animal feeds. It flows easily, scoops like shelled corn (only the grain, not the cob for you city boys ) and only clumps if you get it wet. It will store for quite a while and they also will bag it for an extra $2 per 50 lbs. bag. I have spread it with a John Deere tow behind spreader and will do it with my Eco-Lawn applicator this spring.
Since it is mostly pellets the coverage is not as complete as a powder, the same 1/2 teaspoon of material is sitting in the middle of 10 square inches of soil instead of powdering the whole area. I don't know if that is a problem after there has been some water and mowing activity on the lawn. It seems to have worked well for me.
The only problem we sometimes run into with larger, less dense pellets like alfalfa & DDG is movement downhill away from target areas due to heavy storm erosion.
An application of either in conjunction with core aeration helps to alleviate this problem on heavily sloped lawns.

Oh, almost forgot, marquis!
"CITY BOY"?!?....I got your "city boy", right here!