Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #91  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 AM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Or maybe I do see your point but disagree. You are the type of person who would complain about being hung with a new rope (because its itchy) even though it does the job at hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
haha

Demhustler--Do me a favor and keep your ramblings in some other thread. This has been a great and informative thread with input by a lot of people so don't get it deleted by calling people stupid....and for the love of God use multiqoute instead of posting like 4 times instead of 1 or 2.
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 AM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
haha: laugh:

Demhustler--Do me a favor and keep your ramblings in some other thread. This has been a great and informative thread with input by a lot of people so don't get it deleted by calling people stupid....and for the love of God use multiqoute instead of posting like 4 times instead of 1 or 2.
Dlawns, do yourself a favor - multiquote button doesn't mean you have to use it every time you see it;
but anyway - you did me a favor, and combined a lot of questions in one post - that's good, thanks for that
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 AM
DLAWNS's Avatar
DLAWNS DLAWNS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ocean County,New Jersey
Posts: 5,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
Dlawns, do yourself a favor - multiquote button doesn't mean you have to use it every time you see it;
but anyway - you did me a favor, and combined a lot of questions in one post - that's good, thanks for that
no problem
__________________
Bill Depierro
Depierro Lawns Inc.
29 years old
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Puddle of Oil's Avatar
Puddle of Oil Puddle of Oil is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Akron/Canton Ohio
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osu1997 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on what the pricing will be on the 61" model???
8k would be my guess!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
I get paid to keep the property looking good. It is not hard what we do like anything else in life, added will power, desire and the ability to look for solutions not excuses then you will succeed.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:24 AM
LB1234 LB1234 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
It holds hills well. As well as a Turf Tiger and they do well.

I agree that the V-ride holds the hills well but I still think it doesn't hole them "well enough"...at least for out applications. We demoed a 52" with I believe the 25 or 23 horse kohler on it from our dealer.

A little background. We run three mowers. 61" TT, 48" Scag SWZU, and a gear driven SCAG 36" for a few gated yards we maintain. I only have the 48" walk behind because my TT won't hold some hills and for those that already own a TT you know it holds a hill really really well. The reason for demoing the V-ride 52" was to replace the 48 WB and be an additional mower that can sortof keep pace with the 61TT.

Simply put, it can't (for our hills) hold a hill that our 48" WB can. the cut was great, it was comfortable, easy to maintain. Double cutting was eliminated in the tall wet spring growth. Everything about it was great and I was going to pull the trigger and purchase...but it simply did not hold the hill my WB could and I couldn't justify the purchase. Going up the hill forget about it, the front end was lifting way off the ground. going sideways the ass end would slip out and turning at the end of the run it would tear the turf up bad. Just my two cents through personal experience.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 PM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
I agree that the V-ride holds the hills well but I still think it doesn't hole them "well enough"...at least for out applications. We demoed a 52" with I believe the 25 or 23 horse kohler on it from our dealer.

A little background. We run three mowers. 61" TT, 48" Scag SWZU, and a gear driven SCAG 36" for a few gated yards we maintain. I only have the 48" walk behind because my TT won't hold some hills and for those that already own a TT you know it holds a hill really really well. The reason for demoing the V-ride 52" was to replace the 48 WB and be an additional mower that can sortof keep pace with the 61TT.

Simply put, it can't (for our hills) hold a hill that our 48" WB can. the cut was great, it was comfortable, easy to maintain. Double cutting was eliminated in the tall wet spring growth. Everything about it was great and I was going to pull the trigger and purchase...but it simply did not hold the hill my WB could and I couldn't justify the purchase. Going up the hill forget about it, the front end was lifting way off the ground. going sideways the ass end would slip out and turning at the end of the run it would tear the turf up bad. Just my two cents through personal experience.
if walk it on those hills - would it help? or it would be awkward and hard to hold the hill?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM
demhustler demhustler is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I have a 36 V-Ride with about 100 hours on it that my crew uses. After just a few days I took the 80 lbs of weight bolted under the front of the mower, the big pad, and the fold down platform extension.

Removing the big pad allows the rider to get closer to the center of the axle area (yes I know it's not an axle). Removing the fold down ramp makes the operator stay closer axle. The further behind the axle you get the more unstable the mower becomes (light in the front). Removing the 80 lbs or so bolted under the front saves fuel and makes cross cutting a hill much easier. The mower doesn't want to nose dive down the hill as much. My mowers has probably lost 100 lbs.

I just wish the operating controls were pushed forward about 8" so the operators weight could be forward of the axle area a little bit more. This would also allow the operator to lean forward on up hill mows. Still a good mower and I've sent Scag my ideas. I'm waiting for Scag to send me my check for two cents.

It's great to be able to step off the mower without having to waste time locking any safety devices or putting the brake on. Plus the brake actually works great. On the two Scag 36 SWZU mowers I have the brakes rods push down and flex which is a bad design. The V-Rides brake lever pulls up so there's no flex and the brakes actually work. Plus having one lever for height adjust is heaven compared to having four pins on the SWZU's.

Scag was pretty slow getting to the stand on party but they might just have the best machine.
btw. 4 more info: thread "My V-Ride 36 Mods" here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=330323
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM
LB1234 LB1234 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by demhustler View Post
if walk it on those hills - would it help? or it would be awkward and hard to hold the hill?

I don't think you can get off the V-ride wihtout it shutting down. If I recall there was a safety switch on there to prevent this.


Also, why would I purchase a mower for 7 grand that I have to get off to walk behind the unit...I already have one of those
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
pflasch's Avatar
pflasch pflasch is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 294
You can get off the mower while it's running... just put the parking brake on and turn off the PTO!

You would have to over ride the operator's switch if you wanted to "walk it" on a hill etc.
It could easily be done, but then it's not as safe!!!
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Puddle of Oil's Avatar
Puddle of Oil Puddle of Oil is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Akron/Canton Ohio
Posts: 1,192
walking behind a stand on is a stupid idea! once you get off, the mower loses a lot of traction, especially on a hill!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma View Post
I get paid to keep the property looking good. It is not hard what we do like anything else in life, added will power, desire and the ability to look for solutions not excuses then you will succeed.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.11069 seconds with 8 queries