Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
OK. I just read this whole thread. Sounds like a great mower.

My only real concern would be that I have a number of lawns with roots and rocks and bare areas that I'm used to tipping the front of the deck on my TTHP up on or raising the Deck of my Lazer HP with the foot operated deck lift temporarily. It doesn't seem like it would be practical to raise the deck on the V-rider with the hand lever on the go and I don't see how you could wheelie it in a reliable and controlled manner either.

So what do you do on these machines when you want to clear an obstacle? Or do you just have to go around it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
This was my first thought when I drove one around the dealer parking lot.
To be honest, I don't really run into any areas like this. I definitely wouldn't be practical to wheelie over the obstacle (even though they do a hell of a wheelie). If I ran into this I guess I would either raise the deck by hand or go around it. Hopefully someone else that has one and deals with this will chime in.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've tried out the Scag and the Grandstand and I prefer the Grandstand. I like the Toro because of the roomier platform and the fact that you can flip it up and walk with it-that's two machines in one. The Scag is too much like a Great Dane and you don't get the bang for the buck since you can't lift up the platform. The only thing I like better with the Scag is that the engine isn't connected to the deck.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
Average prices in Virginia...
36" V-Ride $6350
48" V-Ride $6650
52" V-Ride $6950

DLAWNS whats did that scag run ya?

My local scag dealer has one 2010 scag 52'' left and they want $7,999 + tax.

a 1000 dollar difference seems like alot to me from what the poster above posted and what my dealer wants for one.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
DLAWNS whats did that scag run ya?

My local scag dealer has one 2010 scag 52'' left and they want $7,999 + tax.

a 1000 dollar difference seems like alot to me from what the poster above posted and what my dealer wants for one.
No, your dealer is about right....I paid 7,999. I think he knocked off like $200 off the price at the end of the sale and threw in a set of gator blades, but that's because I buy everything there. I would say it is well worth the price. Still lovin the mower!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok that makes me feel better. I was just searching some more and I hadnt found a 52'' that cheap advertised anywhere yet. Since you tested the 48'' and then purchased the 52'' can you do a bit of comparing between the two?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
Ok that makes me feel better. I was just searching some more and I hadnt found a 52'' that cheap advertised anywhere yet. Since you tested the 48'' and then purchased the 52'' can you do a bit of comparing between the two?
To be completely honest I haven't noticed any difference besides the 4" of extra cut I get. I was concerned that the 52 might scalp more than the 48 but I haven't had any scalping problems at all. I would recommend the 52 as it isn't much of a difference in price. I can't say enough good things about this mower. If you have any other questions let me know....
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did the Velocity Deck cut better than the Exmark Ultra Cut and Triton or John Deere 7Iron decks?

The other comparison that would be interesting is comparing the stander to a walkbehind with a sulky.

Interesing observations:

1) Scag as a suspension under their platform

2) Exmark Vantage platform folds up and can be used as a walk behind (has anyone actually done this?)

3) Scag lists a 61" V-Ride on their website. Exmark only has 48 and 52, although they have a 60" walk behind (what I have).

4) Isn't a ZTR 50% faster than a stander? Aren't the standers just a tick faster than the walkbehinds at 8mph while the ZTRs go to 12mph?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
2) Exmark Vantage platform folds up and can be used as a walk behind (has anyone actually done this?)
Not nearly as good as a real walk-behind, its weighted as a stand-on not as a walk-behind - in a few occasions it might come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
4) Isn't a ZTR 50% faster than a stander? Aren't the standers just a tick faster than the walkbehinds at 8mph while the ZTRs go to 12mph?
ZTR do tend to be 10-12 mph, but my experience is that unless the grass is really dry and or short, you will mow about the same speed with a stand-on and a ZTR.

A walk-behind with a sulky usually has less power than either a rider or stand-on

My thought is that a stand-on may be more efficient than a walk with sulky when it comes to maneuvering.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPullman View Post
Not nearly as good as a real walk-behind, its weighted as a stand-on not as a walk-behind - in a few occasions it might come in handy.

ZTR do tend to be 10-12 mph, but my experience is that unless the grass is really dry and or short, you will mow about the same speed with a stand-on and a ZTR.

A walk-behind with a sulky usually has less power than either a rider or stand-on

My thought is that a stand-on may be more efficient than a walk with sulky when it comes to maneuvering.
You are probably right about maneuvering the standon vs. the wb w/sulky. However, the wb offers the option of not using the sulky.

The Exmarks Vantage standons have the same engines as the Turf Tracer walk behinds. The Scag V-drive comes with a 20, 24, or 26. The V-Pro wb has a 23hp option on the 52".
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HEY DMAN, how is it going in your jungle?

how is the leaf season and how is that navigator doing?