Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i really like the idea now i look at it more of the backvac for a stander mower, and if he as the good plan on a grandstand and it is a relatively cheap bagger then i might consider one
Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
I finally got it....Scag V-Ride 52"..here's some pics....don't kill me on the stripes...still getting the hang of it....
Congratulation on your purchase of the V - ride and good luck with it . Finally someone had enough nerve to buy something other then a Wright stander or a Walker mower in this area of ours . Keep us updated on your experience's with this machine . Thanks Scott.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
I'll have a piggyback vac for the v ride next spring (guy is working on a build). Anyone using an accel bagger should look at a piggybackvac as they have a lot more volume.
Posted via Mobile Device
It looks very interesting. A cheaper, lighter, simpler way to get a bagging system on a stand up.

On the other hand...

The video at the website seems to be vaccuming up already mulched up leaves. Is that because that stander would plow full size ones? Without the ability to raise the deck quickly when needed to get heavy accumulations I could see that being a problem.

The lack of details on the website (who they are, what their history is, etc) as well as anything explaining how the system is installed, what it fits, etc, is off-putting. Is this in the early stages of a startup biz?

Questions:

Does it rely on the venturi effect (I think that is what its called) to create suction at the point of deck discharge , as well as directly blowing debris once it moves into the path of the air flow from the blower? Because without that I could see heavier debris sticking at that elbow as well as blowout issues if airflow isn't balanced.

What HP do most bigger backpack blowers produce? If it's around the same as a 5-6 hp 4 cycle engine it might be possible to use a 2 cycle engine to power some of these other designs in a lighter more compact platform.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Lawn Maintenance View Post
Congratulation on your purchase of the V - ride and good luck with it . Finally someone had enough nerve to buy something other then a Wright stander or a Walker mower in this area of ours . Keep us updated on your experience's with this machine . Thanks Scott.
Thanks man. I think I've only seen one other v-ride around here. I've seen a few other scags, but not many. I think I might have seen you around a fews times. My shop is deep in Bayville so I'm not too far from ya.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
It looks very interesting. A cheaper, lighter, simpler way to get a bagging system on a stand up.

On the other hand...

The video at the website seems to be vaccuming up already mulched up leaves. Is that because that stander would plow full size ones? Without the ability to raise the deck quickly when needed to get heavy accumulations I could see that being a problem.

The lack of details on the website (who they are, what their history is, etc) as well as anything explaining how the system is installed, what it fits, etc, is off-putting. Is this in the early stages of a startup biz?

Questions:

Does it rely on the venturi effect (I think that is what its called) to create suction at the point of deck discharge , as well as directly blowing debris once it moves into the path of the air flow from the blower? Because without that I could see heavier debris sticking at that elbow as well as blowout issues if airflow isn't balanced.

What HP do most bigger backpack blowers produce? If it's around the same as a 5-6 hp 4 cycle engine it might be possible to use a 2 cycle engine to power some of these other designs in a lighter more compact platform.
He is a lawncare guy just filling a market niche others have not. So start up to mfg yes, to biz in general no. He is working the patent things to my understanding.

For suction the deck already puts the leaves to the boot. The bp is giving it the push up the tube.

Don't know hp numbers on bp but if you look at the cfm numbers it should be able to push it with ease.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey DLawns, thanks for all the info in this thread.

Most of my contracts now are HOA contracts approximately 50 homes with little yards. We currently use 36" hydros and 21" wbs in the real tight areas.

I'm starting to add a few contracts with larger areas of open common space lawns. I was planning on getting a 52 or 60 ZTR, but I'm starting to think now the V-Ride is the way to go.

Is the V-Ride that much more manueverable in tight spaces than a ZTR? I would love to be able to use this mower in my neighborhoods with smaller lawns as well. Do you think the 48 V-ride can negotiate small lawns with lots of obstacles?

Also, another reason why I wanted a ZTR was so I could get a vacuum bagger for leaf clean up in the Fall. Have you done any leaf clean up with the V-ride?

I will probably eventually get a 60 ZTR and a 48 or 52 V-ride, but for now I can probably only get 1 or the other.

I really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post
Hey DLawns, thanks for all the info in this thread.

Most of my contracts now are HOA contracts approximately 50 homes with little yards. We currently use 36" hydros and 21" wbs in the real tight areas.

I'm starting to add a few contracts with larger areas of open common space lawns. I was planning on getting a 52 or 60 ZTR, but I'm starting to think now the V-Ride is the way to go.

Is the V-Ride that much more manueverable in tight spaces than a ZTR? I would love to be able to use this mower in my neighborhoods with smaller lawns as well. Do you think the 48 V-ride can negotiate small lawns with lots of obstacles?

Also, another reason why I wanted a ZTR was so I could get a vacuum bagger for leaf clean up in the Fall. Have you done any leaf clean up with the V-ride?

I will probably eventually get a 60 ZTR and a 48 or 52 V-ride, but for now I can probably only get 1 or the other.

I really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.
I think the V-Ride is plenty maneuverable in tight areas with obstacles. That's one of the main reasons that I love it. The only thing is there is no bagger like you can get for the v-ride like you could for a Toro/Exmark Zturn, etc. I use my V-Ride for some cleanup stuff but mostly to chip up leaves and send them to the road to be vac'd up or into woods. I hope this helps you a little bit. If you have any other questions let me know...
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just wanted to give a quick update. Just got a recall on the V-Ride. Something to do with the frame. I think it is a pretty quick fix at the dealer. I'll be bringing it in this week.So far this is the only negative thing I've seen with this mower, but at least they caught it and are rectifying it.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

crap, i just read this and then go through my mail and there it is..a letter from scag with the recall. I just bought mine and havent even used it once yet and already bringing it in for recall work lol.

I was checking here to see if you have looked into a Mulch kit for your v-ride or baggers and what you have found.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
crap, i just read this and then go through my mail and there it is..a letter from scag with the recall. I just bought mine and havent even used it once yet and already bringing it in for recall work lol.

I was checking here to see if you have looked into a Mulch kit for your v-ride or baggers and what you have found.
Nah, I won't be getting a mulch kit for it, but I'll be getting the accelerator catcher in the spring. Probably won't use it much but just wanna have it if I need it.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com