Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
New members, pay attention and learn what a good thread is.

This guy had something to offer as well as to ask.

He created a thread of wide general interest, not just one created only for HIS needs/interests.

He used coherent grammar and spelling.

He didn't create a thread on a topic where 35 threads already exist.

He included pics to further our understanding of the machine, not as a substitute facebook page to show off his toys.

Now, try to be like him.

Glad to finally hear more feedback on this machine.

Does the platform cushion the shock on knees/ankles well?

I agree Bruno, This type of info and product evaluation is what I look for on this site......I have a demo next week on a 36" unit because of this review, I have been a Wright Stander user for 5 years and I want to check out the competition. I felt I never had a need to until now.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya'll have me really wanting one of these mowers! I just looked on facebook and saw scag just released the video of the V-Ride and in the description is says 61" model coming soon, thought ya'll might like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lFcsBURIw
'14 Texas Bragg 18'
'14 Kubota Z723 48"
'14 Grasshopper 325D 61"
'09 GRASSHOPPER 329B 61"
'04/'09 Grasshopper 928D 72"
'11 Exmark 21 S-Series
'14 Gravely Commercial 21"
2 Stihl Fs250
2 Stihl Fs94
2 Echo 280
2 Echo BP 770
1 Redmax 8500
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundskeeperllc View Post
Ya'll have me really wanting one of these mowers! I just looked on facebook and saw scag just released the video of the V-Ride and in the description is says 61" model coming soon, thought ya'll might like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lFcsBURIw
Nice video dude! That's making me wanna go pick it up soon. There's a bunch of cool features on there that I didn't even realize.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
New members, pay attention and learn what a good thread is.

This guy had something to offer as well as to ask.

He created a thread of wide general interest, not just one created only for HIS needs/interests.

He used coherent grammar and spelling.

He didn't create a thread on a topic where 35 threads already exist.

He included pics to further our understanding of the machine, not as a substitute facebook page to show off his toys.

Now, try to be like him.

Glad to finally hear more feedback on this machine.

Does the platform cushion the shock on knees/ankles well?
I guess that explains why you have been a member since Jan 2009 and only have 81 post. They all must be of some high caliber scuff.
I really dislike people whom try to put theirselfs above others,but you are right about one thing,it is a good thread.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHop6299 View Post
I guess that explains why you have been a member since Jan 2009 and only have 81 post. They all must be of some high caliber scuff.
I really dislike people whom try to put theirselfs above others,but you are right about one thing,it is a good thread.
I'm guessing it was the grammar and spelling crack that stuck in your craw. : )

thanks for the excellent video groundskeeperlc. I had checked there earlier and didn't find one from Scag.

Last edited by BrunoT; 09-04-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Can someone explain to me how a 52" stander is faster than a 60" z? Or even a 52" z? And other than the fact you can mow steeper hills, how it is better than a z? I have no doubt the scag v-ride is an awesome machine, but their is no way it can be faster than my lazer z. Plus I have read these stander threads before. I know a stander can mow steeper hills than a Z, but a true walk behind still beats a stander for it's ability to mow really steep stuff. I just ruined a great thread... My bad. Ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2010, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman11 View Post
Can someone explain to me how a 52" stander is faster than a 60" z? Or even a 52" z? And other than the fact you can mow steeper hills, how it is better than a z? I have no doubt the scag v-ride is an awesome machine, but their is no way it can be faster than my lazer z. Plus I have read these stander threads before. I know a stander can mow steeper hills than a Z, but a true walk behind still beats a stander for it's ability to mow really steep stuff. I just ruined a great thread... My bad. Ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't want to get too far off topic so I'll try and make this short...

A stand-on mower is "faster" meaning "more efficient" under certain circumstances. For example, a ztr would be faster mowing a football field where as the stand-on mower would be more efficient and faster while mowing a lawn with multiple obsticles to go around. Have you tried turing around a 60" ztr in a very small, heavily landscaped lawn?...not that easy without doing some type of turf damage. But turning around a small 52" stand-on mower is much easier.

These stand-on mowers excell on the heavily landscaped lawns or lawns with many obsticles to go around. They make up time when turing around especially. And typically, with a stand-on mower being lighter you can travel a little bit faster on these small lawns without worrying about turf damage.

You still may be confused. But the best cure for that is to actually go out and demo a stand-on mower and compare on the smaller properties. I have used a couple different stand-on mowers and they definately have their place and can easily save time on the smaller lawns.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok that makes sense
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

"Can someone explain to me how a 52" stander is faster than a 60" z? Or even a 52" z? And other than the fact you can mow steeper hills, how it is better than a z? I have no doubt the scag v-ride is an awesome machine, but their is no way it can be faster than my lazer z. Plus I have read these stander threads before. I know a stander can mow steeper hills than a Z, but a true walk behind still beats a stander for it's ability to mow really steep stuff. I just ruined a great thread... My bad. Ha ha"

Since I made the statement about mowing faster with the 52" vs 60" I will try to defend it. But I'm sure most will need to see to believe.

On an average yard the smaller wheel base allows tighter turning and you can get into smaller spaces. I think everyone can understand that and it's an easy sell.

But even on large areas (football field size) we can match or mow faster than with the ZTR's. I didn't believe the guys or their times at the start so I ran the mower myself and found it to be true. Which got me to wondering why.

The reasons, at least for me, are;
1. Faster turns. If you can save even a second per turn on a big area that adds up to minutes. If you are impressed by a ZTR try a stander.
2. The Scag is over powered. 26 hp for a 52" deck. My older 60" ZTR's had 25 hp driving a 60" deck. Even newer ZTR's with bigger motor's do not have the power to deck size ratio of the 52" Scag when you add the extra 3-400 lbs of weight that a ZTR has.
3. Faster straight line ground speed when cutting. Yes the power mentioned above is important but the standing over sitting is also a big difference. You can actually mow faster standing by letting your legs act as shock absorbers vs sitting and bouncing out of the seat. On perfectly flat and smooth ground this may not be true, but I don't cut any of those. We do mow multi acre sites and my guys prefer the scags. Their idea, not mine.

There may be other reason's but those are the big ones.

I did buy a third 52" Scag and in time I will be trading out all my ZTR's in favor of standers.

The best advice I can give is to get a demo you can keep for a week (or even rent one) and really get used to it. Running one for and hour or up and down your dealers lot just won't do.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DLawns... or anyone else in the stander community for that matter. I was discussing demoing the scag with my dad and he asked one good question... HILLS. How is the stander on hills. I know with ZTR's if the grade is too steep or the grass is too moist from a previous rain going left to right on a grade can be just as bad as going down nose first. What we usually do is go from the bottom up the hill and back back down... only have a few lawns where we have to worry about this, so any input on going up a hill and backing down a hill stability would be great.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws