Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
I was visiting a friend today northwest of Baltimore, Maryland... in the sticks.

There is a Scag dealer near him, so we went over to look at the new V-Ride.
NONE, NADA, ZIP! I asked the salesperson why he didn't carry the V-Ride (he did have the ExMark standon) and he told me "no body is asking for them"!
WHAT!!??? In Northern Virginia, one of our Scag dealers sells all that he can get! I know this as a fact, because I'll be there on a Monday, and they have just received 1 or 2 units in the Scag crates... they build them, and by Thursday they are gone!!
He did try to sell me a ExMark unit... but several things turned me off about the ExMark Vantage unit.
1. The platform is REALLY bouncy!! I thought that I would need dramamine for motion sickness. It's one thing to smooth out the bumps, but you have to control the bounce... it moves TOO much!
2. The deck doesn't float! The deck and the engine are also on the same platform! They move as a single solid unit.
3. The Kawasaki engine on it is the "FS Series".
FS is a "consumer" engine with a 500 hour CARB rating. Scag uses the Kawasaki "FX" series engines... which is a "commercial" grade engine with a 1000 hour CARB rating.
4. It comes with a consumer foam air filter.

What I DID like about the unit (as compared to the Scag V-Ride)
1. Gas tank weight is centered with the front of the unit. (rather than being on one side)
2. Operator Presence Switch - the right side motion control is spring loaded. If you let go of it, it springs up, stopping the blades!
3. Better "Info Meter" giving you "hours and diagnostics" of issues that might arise.
Nice review on the Vantage! I wanted to demo that and the Toro Grandstand also just to compare all the major brands of standers, but my dealer has been having a hard time getting demo units.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,
I think that the only differences between the 2 of them NOW, is the deck. Toro has it's flavor and ExMark has the Ultra Cut.

Early on the other main difference was that Toro used a gas shock as part of the deck lift system that kept blowing... then ExMark fixed the issue when they introduced the Vantage... now I think that they both have the new and improved lift system.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Bill,
I think that the only differences between the 2 of them NOW, is the deck. Toro has it's flavor and ExMark has the Ultra Cut.

Early on the other main difference was that Toro used a gas shock as part of the deck lift system that kept blowing... then ExMark fixed the issue when they introduced the Vantage... now I think that they both have the new and improved lift system.
Gotcha....cool. I appreciate the info. I think the general consensus is that the Scag might have just built the best stand on unit right now! I am sold on it. As soon as I sell my mower I will have one of these!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

MY PERSONAL OPINION:

When looking for a STANDER, what I've noticed is 2 different types of engineering.

2 examples I'll share are:

John Deere Quik Trak... very well engineered stander. It has a nice wide stance and everything is tucked away as far as linkages, wires etc. It uses body panels to hide all of the "mechanicals". This makes for a very nice looking machine, but maybe slightly more difficult to repair or make adjustments... but it LOOKS GOOD!!! Nothing to snag anything on.

Scag V-Ride: Still a VERY good engineered standon, but all of the linkages, wires etc are exposed!
It's what I would call "In your face engineering"!
You see everything from wires to levers to all of the mechanicals!

Now, I'm not saying that either one is better than the other... I just wish that more products were designed like the JD Quik Trak for the clean cut look of it.

Sometimes customers do not like a large piece of equipment on their lawns, I think that sometimes they don't like something that looks all mechanical either... and yes, I know that it's just perception, but when it comes to your bottom line, a customer's perception IS reality.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The closest thing I can even get to demo'ing a V-ride is the local dealer can have SCAG come out and let me run it on a few lawns... I need it for more than an hour on one or two lots. I could take it to my roughest ones... but I'd rather be able to keep the Vantage for 3 days (which I can do through my exmark dealer here).
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36 V-Ride with about 100 hours on it that my crew uses. After just a few days I took the 80 lbs of weight bolted under the front of the mower, the big pad, and the fold down platform extension.

Removing the big pad allows the rider to get closer to the center of the axle area (yes I know it's not an axle). Removing the fold down ramp makes the operator stay closer axle. The further behind the axle you get the more unstable the mower becomes (light in the front). Removing the 80 lbs or so bolted under the front saves fuel and makes cross cutting a hill much easier. The mower doesn't want to nose dive down the hill as much. My mowers has probably lost 100 lbs.

I just wish the operating controls were pushed forward about 8" so the operators weight could be forward of the axle area a little bit more. This would also allow the operator to lean forward on up hill mows. Still a good mower and I've sent Scag my ideas. I'm waiting for Scag to send me my check for two cents.

It's great to be able to step off the mower without having to waste time locking any safety devices or putting the brake on. Plus the brake actually works great. On the two Scag 36 SWZU mowers I have the brakes rods push down and flex which is a bad design. The V-Rides brake lever pulls up so there's no flex and the brakes actually work. Plus having one lever for height adjust is heaven compared to having four pins on the SWZU's.

Scag was pretty slow getting to the stand on party but they might just have the best machine.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
MY PERSONAL OPINION:

When looking for a STANDER, what I've noticed is 2 different types of engineering.

2 examples I'll share are:

John Deere Quik Trak... very well engineered stander. It has a nice wide stance and everything is tucked away as far as linkages, wires etc. It uses body panels to hide all of the "mechanicals". This makes for a very nice looking machine, but maybe slightly more difficult to repair or make adjustments... but it LOOKS GOOD!!! Nothing to snag anything on.

Scag V-Ride: Still a VERY good engineered standon, but all of the linkages, wires etc are exposed!
It's what I would call "In your face engineering"!
You see everything from wires to levers to all of the mechanicals!

Now, I'm not saying that either one is better than the other... I just wish that more products were designed like the JD Quik Trak for the clean cut look of it.

Sometimes customers do not like a large piece of equipment on their lawns, I think that sometimes they don't like something that looks all mechanical either... and yes, I know that it's just perception, but when it comes to your bottom line, a customer's perception IS reality.
One very very important thing in comparing the standers is serviceability. Scag looks like they might have come out best on that aspect. I run Wright units and they are very very difficult to work on. The Toro/exmark look like they would have some problem. One of those units had 8 interlocks and if you can't get to them that would be real bad. Scag has cornered the market in our area almost zero of other units.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
One very very important thing in comparing the standers is serviceability. Scag looks like they might have come out best on that aspect. I run Wright units and they are very very difficult to work on. The Toro/exmark look like they would have some problem. One of those units had 8 interlocks and if you can't get to them that would be real bad. Scag has cornered the market in our area almost zero of other units.
Serviceability is very important. I did not even think to mention that. I'm glad to hear that is another area where the Scag does well! It's funny there are not too many Scags in my area but the people that have them seem to love them...
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I finally got it....Scag V-Ride 52"..here's some pics....don't kill me on the stripes...still getting the hang of it....
Attached Images

11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a couple more...
Attached Images

11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com