Register free!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

advice please

I started my backyard in the spring. I removed 15 oak trees similar to the ones left in the pics here. I Ground down all the stumps. I put down 50 yds of topsoil. this put me into the late spring. I seeded anyway. Heres pics of what I have today. I didnt use any started fertilizer but I did do a weed and feed treatment at 10 weeks.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

completly re-doing some spots

Old 08-29-2010, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

A question I have is I planned on aeration and overseeding today but the next 4-5 days are going to be 90-95 degrees out so I plan on next week. Should I go ahead and do it now or wait until cooler weather next week. Also what kind of aeration (core or the pin type?) I plan on using a 50/50 rye/bluegrass mix. how much should I use? Should I use a starter fertilizer? thanks for your help and any additional comments are welcome. Also should I wait for the crabgrass to completly die off before areation and seeding?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With a fresh load of 50 yds. of topsoil, you really shouldn't be that compacted yet. I would focus on a good seedbed and overseed. Yeah, wait for it to cool down. You don't have much shade. We are good to go here after Wednesday.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds good. How do I create a seed bed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go around and spot kill all that crabgrass. Might be a little tedious but it won't be dying off anytime soon. Kind of hard for seed to germinate with giant clumps of crabgrass in the way.

Spray it now and you will be ready by next week to seed again.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

What chemical do I spray the crabgrass with? Will it kill the grass in the surrounding area, or just the crabgrass?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctSeb View Post
That sounds good. How do I create a seed bed?
Posted via Mobile Device
A bit of topdressing (preferably compost), then running thru with a slit seeder.

The weeds are always a problem the first year with new topsoil, so don't let that get you down. CG will die quickly as cool weather approaches. For us the AFF is 19 September. What is yours?

I would mow the CG, real close and use their dead bodies for seedling cover.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion, seed now if you want--warm soil temps will bring it up quick--IF--you keep it wet. Cool weather is coming soon--and you want to have 6 to 8 weeks before frost, (iffy in Wisconsin). This lawn still has some serious shade issues. The rule of thumb is that you should not try to grow grass if there is less than 4 hours of sunlight. Usually this means you cannot grow grass within 6 feet of a forested area. A litttle more on the north side of the woods-- a little less on the south side.
Use seed at about 4 pounds per thousand sqft. Crabgrass will die at frost.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok from what I gathered my plan is... pull out the large clumps of crabgrass. lay out a thin compost layer and slice seed in a rye/BG mix. spread starter fertlizer. Water 3 times a day until germination. Does this sound right and what type of starter fertilizer should I use? Thanks again.