Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2002, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good news

Today I officially paid off my new Gravely 260z that I got in April. I would have paid it off 4 weeks ago, however, my commercials send money my ways about 30 days after billing... It feels great, especially at my age.

Also by coincidence my new Magnum gators arrived at searching high and low finding one to fit my model. FYI got them at www.jacksmallengines.com. THey have a huge selection. Anyways, I sharpened all the blades up and decided to give the doubles a whirl. Took me 3 trys to get the throttle just right so it wouldn't die, but the results were INCREDIBLE.

Anyways, this is all made possible thanks to the community here. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats!

I have 3 Gravely 260Z machines. The oldest is 4 seasons old and still going strong. You should be able to use your paid-off machine to put money in your pocket for a long time!

Do you have any pictures of the doubles? I was curious since it looks like the blade bolt on the 260Z is a custom-item. Do you not use one or both of the washers?

PS I'm jealous. I started at age 20 (8 years ago) and walked behind a 48" for 2 years, then got a Velke, then the first Gravely after four years in business.

Ken
Old 08-07-2002, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow!

You should be very proud of yourself! I work in the finance industry (over 16 years), reviewing financial info on thousands of people each year. It is extremely rare to see someone manage a business and credit so well at such an early age. Remember to have some non-work fun too!

Here's to you, Yardboy!

Joel's wife (Bridget)
Old 08-07-2002, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Albemarle: I'll get some pic's tomorrow hopefully. My 260z uses a 5/8" bolt. Stock it came with a domed locking washer on bottomw and a thick spacer washer above that. That thick washer is the same thickness has the blades, so I simply removed that washer and kept the locking washer on bottom... I find it convenient they did it that way and prevents me from finding a longer size bolt. Hopefully yours are the same way.

Bridget, thanks. I printed out my amortization table of my loan, and I saw it was costing me $40 a month interest at 6.9%. Also, I don't like loans hanging the balance. And yes, I'll be sure have some fun. I'm working on flying lessons and license ($3500) and getting ready to buy a 98 or 99 Trans AM.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you got the "money" issue figured out this early........you got it made!

Wish I had some dollars and cents sense!

Congrats and good luck.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a little confused as to why you had to search so far to get Gators for your mower. My buddy has a 260Z and it takes the same blades as my Dixie and my other buddy's Exmark. It's a 20.5" blade with a 5/8" hole.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know that richard. I just searched for that specific model. Learn something new everyday. Should make my search next time easier.

Here's my current double setup.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2002, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

if your gravely is still under warranty, they have a spindle update, it replaces all three spindles with heavy duty spindles and full 5/8 bolt not a 1/2 with a 5/8 shoulder. Tell your dealer you keep breaking blade bolts at it will be covered.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And to clarify, the original hi-lifts moved down into the spacer-washer spot and the gatorstook the place of the originals
Old 08-08-2002, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey!! Thats the best close up photo I have seen that shows the double blade set up. Good Job! I might try this weekend to set mine up and try it out in my lawn first!:blob3: