Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeble67 View Post
I stick with the 2-2.5x my mowing charge for aerating.
Personally, I think 3 x the mowing price should be a minimum especially if you are renting an aerator.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It takes me less time to aerate my lawn than to mow it. I can get my 5,000 sf lawn aerated in 10 minutes with my Lawn Solutions aerator. It take me 1/2 hour with my 21 inch mower, edging, weed wacking then blowing the sidewalk clean.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't finish my last comment...

So I really don't understand why everyone thinks aerating is so horrible and should be 2X or 3X mowing. Seed and fertilizer are extra of course, but I'm just talking about showing up and poking holes.

If you can get $80 or more to aerate, great! But in my area, my customers (and my house) get 8 flyers per season on our doors from landscapers who will aerate for between $35 and $45 per 10,000 sf lawn.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
It takes me less time to aerate my lawn than to mow it. I can get my 5,000 sf lawn aerated in 10 minutes with my Lawn Solutions aerator. It take me 1/2 hour with my 21 inch mower, edging, weed wacking then blowing the sidewalk clean.
No offense, but even with their ride on you would have a hard time doing it in 10 min.

Dave...
Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The higher price is justified for more than 1 reason. If you are established enough to own your own equipment, you will find the window of opportunity is MUCH smaller than the mowing window. The machine has to produce more $ because it has a smaller timeframe to pay for itself. The work is also more strenuous, alas a higher price!! We've been in busines for 30 years and haven't had any problems at all with our 3 1/2 times the mow price for aeration. If you are doling aeration super cheap, you are really cheating yourself.

If you don't like my opinion...go around back for another view.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br549oicu8 View Post
The higher price is justified for more than 1 reason. If you are established enough to own your own equipment, you will find the window of opportunity is MUCH smaller than the mowing window. The machine has to produce more $ because it has a smaller timeframe to pay for itself. The work is also more strenuous, alas a higher price!! We've been in busines for 30 years and haven't had any problems at all with our 3 1/2 times the mow price for aeration. If you are doling aeration super cheap, you are really cheating yourself.
I agree, most lawns are around 5000 to 10000 sq ft in my area, I won't aerate for less than $60 on a 5000 sq ft lawn. Unfortunately high school kids and illegals will do it all day long for $45. You see signs on the road ways at intersections and entrances to subdivisions in the spring that say any yard $45. Aeration around my area is becoming less and less profitable for the amount of work involved. It's too hard of a job for that kind of money. I have a Turfco aerator that is easier than others to operate but it is still a job and will wear you out. I would like to get a ride on and thought about it many times, but as prices keep dropping $8500 plus tax is a lot of $45 aeration's. Its the same with mulch and pine straw around my area. $45 to $55 a yard for mulch and $4.00 to $4.50 a bale for pine straw. That is not even worth my time. Pine straw is $3.00 a bale, and mulch is $27 to $30 a yard, so where you going?

Its a joke, and the more people that get into this line of work the lower the prices are going to go. No body checking licenses in this area, people spraying without licenses, no business licenses, not paying taxes, and illegals running around like their at home and nobody gives a $hit. Mower prices going up every year and wait till next year when gas prices go up. LCO's are like cockroaches around me, you practically have to watch where you step or you will step on top of them. Come on in you new guys, the water fine.

Dave...
Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesturf View Post
Do you have the wb or ride on?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Do you have the wb or ride on?
He has one with jet packs on it. The F-17 Stealth Aerator, that thing is a beast.

Dave...
Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
No offense, but even with their ride on you would have a hard time doing it in 10 min.

Dave...
OK, maybe 15 minutes tops.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br549oicu8 View Post
Thanks, I have seen tons of flyers, newspaper adds, signs on side of road, etc. quoting cheap prices, so I priced mine just slightly higher. Next year I will raise my prices and see what happens. I am currently at full capacity and losing a few people to get higher prices is not a bad thing.

Tags
core aeration , fall cleanup