Register free!

Old 08-06-2002, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If mycellium remains?

I have done several fungicide applications (Bayleton @ 3lbs./1000) for dollar spot. There are a select few that I had to re-treat. One lawn in particular - I have re-treated twice. This guy claims that he waters every other day. A cold front moved through Pittsburgh last night lowering the humidity at least for the next few days. He called this morning & said that he still sees 'white, cottony cobwebs'. It is my understanding that if mycellium remains - the dollar spot is still active. How can this be? Is it possible for mycellium to be present, and the dollar spot is not active?

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 08-06-2002, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

rob:
i found in the past that you are BETTER OFF TO SEE THE mycelium your self...relying on the client if you can help it is a no-no.

i am not to sure about the granular bayleton i only use w/p. and if applicated right you will see no mycelium the nextday....

if you can see mycelium then it is still active...

anthony
Old 08-06-2002, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Granular forms of Bayleton (or any systemic fungicide) will take a couple days to begin working. In this case, the plant wasn't coated with fungicide bsuch as with a liquid, but rather you probably instructed the client to water the product into the root zone. Therefore the crown & roots must absorb the Bayleton & then the plant must translocate the fungicide. But this really doesn't happen at all. All the Sterol inhibitting fungicides can do is behave as a local penetrant. The crown was the only place where penetration might be benefitting the situation. So if infection is on the upper portion of a grass plant, then the short term results would be minimal at best.

That said, look at the lawn in the early AM yourself. Pythium exhibits a cottony mycelium too. Bayleton does nothing for Pythium.

Small spiders are found inhabitting turf too. Their webs are often mistaken for mycelium. The customer almost certainly can't tell the difference.

Steve
Old 08-06-2002, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

good reply ..steve
anthony (ant)
Old 08-07-2002, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I've had a couple of lawns that had both Dollar Spot & Pythium Blight, so that may be the case. If it is, how can I ask this guy to pay for another fungicide application of Subdue? I hate disease - thank God this humidity is gone. Bring on the grubs!

Rob
Old 08-07-2002, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mancozeb DG & Flowable are both very economical & labled for control of Pythium & Dollar Spot.

The 4lb Flowable does both at 12.8 oz/M for about $2.26/M. Fungicide don't get any cheaper than this. And that's at the high rate!

I've intentionally left the Prodigy out of my program (because I ran out, wanted to prove Mancozeb works, & am cheap) & have so far escaped Pythium by applying the Mancozeb DG (with Eagle) at 6 oz/M. It clogs my Solo backpack at this rate. Therefore the Flo would be the way to go if this is the only application method available.

This isn't the sort of control we might expect from such heavy hitter as Banol, Subdue, Prodigy, or Heritage. But Heritage is $355.00 per acre on the current promotion. And it doesn't control Dollar Spot. Mancozeb 4 Flow is under $100.00. That's cheaper than Merit or any other grub control.

This might make broad-spectrum summer disease control an option for folks who wouldn't otherwise even consider it.

Just a thought.

Steve
Old 08-07-2002, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steve,

I agree - I've used Mancozeb in the past with success. I prefer to apply liquid fungicides & insecticides. Who wants to rely on a customer to water? This year, I am putting granular down because I dont have an extra sprayer. I would have never thought to apply Mancozeb with a backpack. That stuff is so thick that I could see it clogging everything up. What is the shelf life of Mancozeb? I've bought some 2 1/2's that were 1/2 liquid & 1/2 solid rock at the bottom. What a waste.

Rob
Old 08-07-2002, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Rob,

As long as it doesn't freeze, the shelf life is nearly indefinite.

I'm using some old DG, so there'e no reason to bring up the clogging! I know what that's all about.

If you have some 4lb flowable, shake it up thoroughly before you measure & mix. That will place the solids back into suspension. I made the DG work by measuring, filling, then shaking my back-pack like a fool. The I strapped it on quickly, & got about pumping & spraying immediattley. Any pause in starting will allow the settling occur.

The 4lb Flowable that you have goes down at 12.8 oz at the heaviest rate. Settling isn't nearly as bad with this formulation as the DG.

A good tank sprayer is still about a thousand percent better though.

Steve
Old 08-08-2002, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have to try it. Thanks Steve.

Rob