Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Help Identifying Problem

We've had our house for almost 2 years. We moved in 2 Octobers ago and the yard never really "took" all that well when put in. I'm trying to figure out what is causing the problem so I can attempt to remedy the issue myself, but I don't know much about lawns at all.

Our neighbors have had theirs treated by a commercial company and it looks fairly nice (though it was in better shape to begin with). In the pictures below, the dark green patches are the edges of my yard where it blends with theirs.

Can anyone help me identify what is going on in the pictures below? Is it under fertilized? Does it need to be dethatched? Does it need to be aerated? Any help at all is very welcomed and appreciated!

Here are some pics:

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hard to tell from photos.

New to the restore phase but looks like weeds Cg ..etc, Cut to short....etc

I would recommend (feel free to correct me)

In The Fall:

1. Cut short 1" 1 1/2 "

2. Rent Core aerator and 2 passes min. ( I like to lay down some peat/compost maybe lime)

3. Starter fert and a good quality seed don't skimp on the seed.

4. Keep it damp

SPRING SAY EARLY APRIL

1. Pre-emergent/Fert for crabgrass

2. Don't cut below 2 1/2" -3" (never remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade at a time)

3. Weed-n-Feed in June

Might have missed a few things but there will be a major improvement.

Last edited by EconoScapers; 08-31-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

The one question I have what type of grass? Warm season grass maybe centi or Burm?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconoScapers View Post
The one question I have what type of grass? Warm season grass maybe centi or Burm?
Ya, that would be good to know.

How about the lawn when installed? Was it amended, tilled, etc..... Also, how old is the house and is it newer construction? (built within the last 20 years or so).

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Type of grass would be a key bit of knowledge(where do you live?). I would also start with a soil test. Get that done first, then base your program on that.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes the grass identification is key, your location would also help...it looks like a bermuda, zoysia, centipede type of grass, in other words a warm season grass that are ugly to begin with...it almost looks like your neighbor has a different type of grass and probably waters is more often than yours therefore it looks entirely different, because it is...but yes the first step is the identification of your existing lawn then you can go from there...best bet would be to ask the guy who does the chemical treatments next door or ask a lawn professional, you can also ask the extension office, they usually come out for free...watering is also key, then a nice chemical program to follow that up...it can take a lot to get a nice lawn, from soil samples to installing an irrigation system
Old 08-31-2010, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone.

House is located just NE of Dallas, Texas.
Grass is Bermuda

House was built 2 years ago and the lawn was brought in and put down right before we moved in (October of 08). Was put in as sod, not seeded.

The first winter came and the grass still had seams in it for a long time, though it has filled in more at this point.

I'll take some of the tips and try and work off of them - thanks again - and any more are definitely welcome!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bermuda loves Nitrogen. It looks like a very hungry lawn to me. Do a soil test and amend as recommended. Also bermuda like a well drained soil and wont react well to too much irrigation so if you have been watering more to try and fix your problem start doing the opposite, cut back the water.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Full Disclosure: I have no experience with Bermuda grass.

Now, that said, I highly recommend getting a good amount of compost into that soil. No matter what type of grass it is, compost can only help. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
Full Disclosure: I have no experience with Bermuda grass.

Now, that said, I highly recommend getting a good amount of compost into that soil. No matter what type of grass it is, compost can only help. Good luck!
That's the reason I asked about when the house was built. Nothing is usually done to the lawn after it's been used as a parking lot by all the contractors building the house.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.