Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm Thinking of and pressure washing.

Hi,
I started My lawn business at the beginning of last season, and am still building accounts. After saving for a couple months the get new lawn equipment. I'm thinking of adding pressure washing(and soft washing) for my accounts and some others. I'm solo and plan to stay that way no landscaping or hardscape. I'll do the cuts first each week. Then on friday and saturday add washing if time allows.
Whens the bulk of washing done? Spring,summer or all year long? I'm thinking now before the lawns grow, and fall when they're slowing down i could do the bulk of my washing and add some work to the down time. I like the down time in the winter for vacations and holidays. And fla's winters are lite.
I've read some treads on here and went to their links for equipment. I almost started this last fall but saved the money for the winter and sat around. The sitting was too long. This year i wanted to fill half that time with work. People here are starting mulch and landscape work already. I've got some mulch work started. I think the washing would have already started. I won't do roofs. Is $1500-$2000 good for equipment start up for 4gpm and 4000psi with soft wash and attachments? I would use my lawn trailer. Just unload mowers and load washing equipment. Do i need a water tank, or just hook to they're water?Thank you! Any links for starter packages would help.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not involved in pressure washing but I would think that you are going to need your own water tank. Othewise your prices woud hve to be less if using the customers water.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know there is a powerwashing forum, however I never see anyone on there so you will probably have just as much luck on here. I was gonna add this service last year as well, but never actually had time to pursue it. I was looking at just a basic commercial Ridgid powerwasher, and I believe it was around $900 with a a Honda engine. I have so many customers with sidewalks that look horrible, and would love to be able to offer to clean them for extra income. I thought about even adding that into my spring clean ups for the customers. I checked with my insurance company as well, and they can add coverage in with my lawn care policy if I decide to pursue it. I think it would be a good service to offer, and would definately enhance the look of the customers property overall. My only problem is that I'm so busy mowing during the summer, I may have to offer more of a fall service for powerwashing. I've had several customers ask if I offer this, and probably could have made some good money last year.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A few of my high end mowing customers use a pressure washing service for their homes. I think they were charged around 300-400 dollars depending on the size of the house. I thought about providing this service and did some research on it. I am not comfortable enough on a ladder to do this myself. My brother in law was willing to do the work for me, but my sister was not on board with it, so I dropped that idea. I do like the idea of offering the service for sidewalks, driveways and patios though.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am very interested in this topic as well. I spent about 4 hours of research online and found out that there is a lot more to power washing than I thought. As far as machines I found out that you need at least a 4gpm unit and for something that small as somebody asked you do not need a water tank. As far as a ladder for doing houses I also found that it is in most cases not needed, even with taller 2 stories. With the proper chemical usage and mixture and tips you can clean up to 40' maybe more from the ground at as low as 150psi. And I most definately would NOT charge less because I am using there water. The things I am having a hard time finding out are:
-What tips to use for low pressure cleaning?
-What chemicals to use on different surfaces? (professional chem, NOT bleach)
-Chemical Mixture
10Ft Dump Trailer
12Ft Leaf Box Billy Goat
60" Exmark Lazer Z
52" Hustler Mini Z
44" Toro Z Master
36" Bunton WB
21" Honda WB
Redmax & Stihl Handhelds
Bunch of other crap!!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest that if you have to ask us these questions you'd probably do better to go ask real experts in the field for a job doing pressure washing for a while so you don't go out there and damage homes and hard surfaces, get sued, and lose money instead of making it.

It's harder than it looks to do it right and there are a lot of things that can go wrong. I do a lot of lawns where I've seen the powerwashing guys there one day, then later the driveway starts crumbling. Whatever they did took the top coat right off and you can see aggregate. In other cases people have had fancy paver drives get discolored. Stuff like that.

In Florida of all places there is probably enough year-round work to keep most lawn guys reasonably busy, especially if you stay busy enough in peak season, as you will eventually welcome some time off from the mental and physical grind. I'd probably concentrate on nailing this down first before I took on something else.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
A few of my high end mowing customers use a pressure washing service for their homes. I think they were charged around 300-400 dollars depending on the size of the house. I thought about providing this service and did some research on it. I am not comfortable enough on a ladder to do this myself. My brother in law was willing to do the work for me, but my sister was not on board with it, so I dropped that idea. I do like the idea of offering the service for sidewalks, driveways and patios though.
Check out soft scrub pressure washing. You don't need a ladder. I'm not good with heights.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used stuff called Jo max from ace or lowes you just mix it up, spray it one, and wash it off and it will really take the milder and crap off a house or shed and keeps it from coming back as quick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

powerwashing

I have done some,but i dont push it .bought ext. pole brushes. i will do decks and walkways for my good accts.Cleaning up the walks and drives make houses look nice. I've done buldings and seem to always end up soaking wet! Wet in the summer is o.k. but not spring and fall! If your already mowing i'd try to get the maint. part also!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I've used stuff called Jo max from ace or lowes you just mix it up, spray it one, and wash it off and it will really take the milder and crap off a house or shed and keeps it from coming back as quick.
Posted via Mobile Device
i use the same stuff.home depot has it but it is back where the paints are not where the bleach and other stuff is.it is where the mildew remover products are
  3. 60 (07) tank z-turn
  4. redmax weed wakers and backpacks
  5. and a t-230 shindy weed waker so old that moses use it to weed wake around the ark as they was building it lol