Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Member

First sign of trouble is when a customer tries to tell me how to cut grass.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
Why didn't you explain to her that different cutting heights aren't going to effect how fast it grows and that if you cut lower you would either have to bag or double cut which would be an additional charge.

Sounds to me like you just didn't communicate and are very defensive with the "this is how its gonna be then" attitude. Most people don't know much about grass, that is why they hire someone. You should have took the time to explain the consequences to the contact better and let them decide.

I'd chalk this one up as a lesson. Communicate better next time and learn why you don't cut grass down to nothing so you can educate them on it, then let them make the decision. If you don't educate them, they are gonna just say do it, cause they are the ones paying you to do it.
I agree.......Good advice.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I think every LCO runs into this kind of customer from time to time, I know I have. There's really no way of continuing with one of these people. You have to get rid of them.

Sometimes you can save the job by educating them but most of them can't be educated. I've got to the point where I don't spend much time trying to save a job. If the customer isn't happy I thank them for the business they have given me and move on. It's painful if you don't have lots of work but stay in the business long enough and you'll be up to your eyeballs with good customers.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterCutter View Post
I think every LCO runs into this kind of customer from time to time, I know I have. There's really no way of continuing with one of these people. You have to get rid of them.

Sometimes you can save the job by educating them but most of them can't be educated. I've got to the point where I don't spend much time trying to save a job. If the customer isn't happy I thank them for the business they have given me and move on. It's painful if you don't have lots of work but stay in the business long enough and you'll be up to your eyeballs with good customers.
I have one. Good paying job! Way more than it's worth! That's for sure!
She is much nicer now and we ge along! I try to make friends not enemies (spelling)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Maintenance_2010 View Post
she call me back to cancel...I never had problem with her till she told me to go lower
then all the problem's started...i mulch my clippings .but when you used to cut grass that is used to be cut higher and then you cut 2 times lower then usual there will be lots of clippings all over the grass....

Yes i did tell her that il try my best to prevent it...but theres so much you can do..

Im still new in the business..but what i did does make sense right?

I'm starting to think she either found another company or she will ask her bf to do it
I have one account that always leaves clippings. I cut it first thing and she must water that morning. It's only on her front lawn. If i bagged the front it made it easier. Also have to blow clumps there too. She pays great and leaves me a bottle water every cut. My kind of customer..
Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
totally agree clumps of clippings looks bad,but thats what happens when you cut grass really short...i can barely see clippings when i cut my other contracts

Your the pro.

Being your a pro you should know that before you touch the mower there would be a ton of clippings left over.

As a pro you should of known:

that customers will not accept clippings left on the lawn when you are done

mowed the lawn at the regular setting then mow it again at a lower setting so the clippings would be small enough to disperse and not be seen

mowed the lawn at the lower setting then go over the lawn a second time to disperse the clippings

that the only way you were willing to do the job she was going to have to accept piles of clippings on her lawn.

You refused to do the job right.

You refused to comunicate with the customer on how the job was going to look when you were done before you did it.

You failed to meet your customers needs and then you complain that the customer was unreasonable and she dumped you.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
this weekly customer calls me saying her grass grows to long
and wants me to cut it shorter im like ok no problem
i cut it shorter,this week she calls me up saying well you left bunch of dead grass spots im like well you wanted me to cut it short so thats what it does
she says well teh grass is growing to fast again can you lower it aggain im like ok cut the grass again brought down the mowers..the mower where almost stalling thats how low i was getting anyway,she calls me back saying theres even more clippings on her grass...lol

what should i do now??

Im not raking her clippings shes the one that wanted me to go lower

i do not bag any of my contracts
None of you guys have addressed the Underlying issue here. Send her a vibrator with a fresh set of batteries... problem solved. Now you can cut the grass any height you like it.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had a few customers that said the grass gets too long in between cuttings and I simply tell them one of two things, a let's put you on the schedule for every week or b, I educate them that I can't cut fescue below 3 inches. I explain why and that if they want shorter grass I would be happy to give them a quote for bermuda or something. I personally, would rather lose a customer than to have the yard look like crap because the homeowner is telling me how to do my job. If they can't understand that I will do what is best for their yard and lawn and this is what I do for a living, they I don't bother havong them as a customer. If I cut it short because they want me to, well nothing good is going to come of it. They will be unhappy cause it will yellow and show dead spots, and I will look bad if people drive by and see me taking care of a yard that looks like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnryan View Post
I have had a few customers that said the grass gets too long in between cuttings and I simply tell them one of two things, a let's put you on the schedule for every week or b, I educate them that I can't cut fescue below 3 inches. I explain why and that if they want shorter grass I would be happy to give them a quote for bermuda or something. I personally, would rather lose a customer than to have the yard look like crap because the homeowner is telling me how to do my job. If they can't understand that I will do what is best for their yard and lawn and this is what I do for a living, they I don't bother havong them as a customer. If I cut it short because they want me to, well nothing good is going to come of it. They will be unhappy cause it will yellow and show dead spots, and I will look bad if people drive by and see me taking care of a yard that looks like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
That should be how it is, IMO. I cant afford to have people/potential customers riding by and seeing me cutting a fescue yard at 2 inches with brown spots and clippings everywhere. I want someone to ask the homeowner who is doing their yard because they think it looks great, and they want to hire me. Not because it looks awful, and they want to avoid me.

But from the way it sounds im thinking the yard is bermuda grass and weeds for some reason.
21" MTD Pro Push mower
Stihl BR550
Bolens 25cc trimmer (KM110R soon to come)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea I see what ur saying and I think it does depend on the area too. Here in san diego everything is bagged for the most part so there really is never the issue of clumps. If someone sees me just mulching they usually will complain even if u explain it to them. But to get around this I have learned a little trick that someone mentioned on here. I have a snapper 21 hi vac and thye suggested just to put the chute blokc in and still run the mower with the bag on it and no one will know the difference. Never had anyone say anything and I think as long as they assume its getting bagged then they feel im not lazy, regardless of if its better for the grass or not. I think its all about choosing your battles.
Posted via Mobile Device