Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i demo'd one last year, it is very fast and fairly comfortable, but sux on hills, gonna stick to my wright standers, they are the best for hills and i have alot of hills
Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

i have to look at the standers everyone has them around my area. Im probably going to buy a new mid mount zero turn as well for my bigger lawns. I love the ferris mid mount zero turns mowers they are comfortable, but price is getting high. Any one have a bad boy mower? they are like half the price and they look like a nice mower but no suspension.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman222 View Post
i have to look at the standers everyone has them around my area. Im probably going to buy a new mid mount zero turn as well for my bigger lawns. I love the ferris mid mount zero turns mowers they are comfortable, but price is getting high. Any one have a bad boy mower? they are like half the price and they look like a nice mower but no suspension.

I have a BB Outlaw- Very good on hills, no suspension, but is long wheelbase which helps with the ride. Adjustable front lip deck, slightly better cut quality than the Lightning or AOS models.

I also have a BB Lightning- Not so good on hills, but has suspension and rides great. Not quite as smooth as a Ferris, but much less on price.

Indian Springs on the site here went to the factory about a month ago. He says they are coming out with a model combining the suspension of the Lightning with the Hillside capabilities of the Outlaw with several engine options including a diesel.

There are alot of Badboy bashers on this site. However, I have great dealer support. I have 275 hours on the Outlaw, and 178 hours on the Lightning with no problems so far.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the Ferris and Sentar Sport and went with the Scag V Ride 36". I paid $6100 for my V-Ride. I didn't like the cranking lever to adjust the height on the Ferris (Snapper Pro). I also like how much faster it is to get on and off the Scag. One pull of the handle is all it takes to adjust the cutting height. Plus I know all the padding on the Ferris will end up getting torn or wearing out. My Scag now has no padding to replace. Also, if you get in a 911 situation all you have to do is take one quick step and your off the Scag. Plus the mower is a Scag how can you argue with that? Ha Ha.

I took the weights off the front of my Scag as well as the fold down platform and huge pad. Now my machine weighs about 100 less lbs and handles better on the hillsides. Plus my workers are able to stand about 8" closer to the center of the axle which makes the machine more stable. If I had a machine shop I would move the whole top of the mower where the hand controls are forward 8" as well. That would allow the operator to lean into the hills a little and make the mower even better.

I told Scag about my mods and desired mods to make the mower even better. Now I'm waiting for my design consulting check to come in the mail!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I ried the bad boy lightning on monday and WOW that thing is fast . I didnt buy one but the book says it will do 13mph and i beileve now . I have been on alot of mowers in my day an that has been the fastest one to date for me.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

How does the deck height adjust on the evolution? I see it has the crank but do you have to move the belt up or down on the pulley coming off the motor?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Well i bought an evolution last week . Its not to bad , i still have to get use to the new sounds and movements but other than that its not bad . I will agree it doesnt do all that great on hills , but i dont have that many so im not worried about it .