Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sanding soccer fields ?

I'm seeking recommendations on what rate (lbs per 1000) to sand soccer fields. I just opened them up with my aerator and they want to sand them. My objective is to keep them level and improve the drainage a bit. Thankx in advance.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I'm seeking recommendations on what rate (lbs per 1000) to sand soccer fields. I just opened them up with my aerator and they want to sand them. My objective is to keep them level and improve the drainage a bit. Thankx in advance.
Think you want between 1/4 and 1/2 inch of top dressing. 1 yard of sand will give you 1/3 inch of sand per 1000ft2. Are you going to drag it after to make it as flat as possible? Athletic fields are not my specialty so hopefully someone else will chime in. Did you aerate with your LS walk behind or tractor and three point? Probably the tractor....just wondering.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used the woods 3 point with 1000 lbs of concrete block on the weight tray, so the fields are open.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

looks like you will be getting plenty of rain this weekend. My sister and husband fly out tonight (live in bridgewater) to head down to see me for the weekend....hope they get out.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They should be ok if it's an early flight. Earl is due to land around 9:00 pm tonight.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have topdressed our school's soccer field several times with a pull behind Mete-R-Matic. 30 yards (80/20 mix) covers it nicely. I run the gate all the way open and pull it with a small tractor. It's an amount that helps firm and smooth the surface and drags in easily. I did it twice a year during the years I took care of the field. I kept up with filling divots by hand throughout the season and hand topdressed and overseeded goal boxes throughout spring and fall seasons, so it's not as if the majority of my topdressing was finding its way into these kinds of areas. The plugs from aerating will give you a little material to drag around too, as I am sure you know.

If they could have afforded it, I would have preferred to use double this amount. I began with the premise that I wanted to apply a 1/8" layer. The turf easily could have accommodated twice that amount. At the 60-yard rate, I think the results would have been best if I had dragged it (usually three times over the field in different directions) after the first 30 and again after 60. If my equipment could put down 60 all in one pass, then I think it would have cleaned up fine doing it all at once - I just would not want to track up the first 30 as I was applying the second.

Hope this helps, sorry I do not have weight in pounds per 1,000. 80 M is my working field size.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Dave Minner at (I think) Iowa State has some good articles on this. One article I have seen by a PHD in soils was to aerate on 2" centers with 3/4 " hollow tines. remove the cores and topdress with enough coarse sand to fill the holes. If the cores can't be removed I guess dragging them in with the sand is the next best thing. 3/4" tines on 2" centers disrupts about 10% of the surface area. So, I guess if the holes are 3" deep and you disrupt 10% of the surface. the math would be Length of area in ft. X width of area in ft. X
3" depth X 10% X conversion factor of .0031 gives cubic yards of material needed. A 70,000 sq. ft field would take 65 cubic yards of sand. (70,000 x 3 x .0031 x 10%) the conversion factor of .0031 is neat to calculate cubic yards of material.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I did 5 soccer fields last summer ... first I areated, then overseeded the bare patches, and topdressed with 50 yards using my pro-gator and dakota topdresser (about 6 hrs), then dragged it with a 10 ft drag mat. This gave me about 1/4 inch of sand. I don't think I'd go anymore than that. Once the school kids were off it at the end of June it filled in very nicely. I should mention these fields have irrigation. This summer I've got to do the dryland softball fields.