Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting out needing lawns, how to deal with people asking for low price on cuts

Hey all. I'm new in the lawn service business and still needing yards. But some owners are asking unreasonable offers. I have my minimum cut of $25, that being a small yard with no obstacles. Since I'm new at it I want as many yards as I can possibly get. But to give an example, I had a lady ask me to come by and give an estimate. The yard I wouldn't do for less than $45. Its split into 2 Fences in back yard with 3 or 4 cut down trees with the stumps still there with a few other not needed obstacles. Front yard is on a steep incline, pretty damn steep with roots from 2 trees coming up out of the yard in all kinds of places. Its one of the yards that would be a pain to mow. She said her old grass mowers did it for $35. Scenarios like this are rare or its something I'm just gonna have to get used too?

Thanks in advance or any tips. I just don't want to sell myself short or get taken advantage of. But I don't want to be greedy.

Josh
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id get use to it, real use to it
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Odds are she's stretching the truth on the $35 for her old crew. I had a guy do this with me, come to find out he didn't fire his old crew yet and we showed up at the same time on the same day. Needless to say I got the truth from the crew leader, it was almost double the price the customer told me he was paying. All you can do is be firm and don't worry too much about it. Be professional and chances are you'll get a phone call as soon as that grass needs cut and you'll hopefully get your price.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Bite the bullet for now and take the work, some money is better than none. Next season bump these people up a buck or two or find a better paying customer to replace them, it takes time to build a good customer base that pays well.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you justify turning it down? some money is better than no money is right. suck it up get out there and do it. go above and beyond and then some. because shes gona tell people what a great job you did. her neighbors will notice, and you might even pick some of them up as well. put a sign on your truck so every one that drives by and sees you out there will notice. next thing you know you will be able to pick and choose the lawns you want to take..
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ask her why she is calling you if she was happy with the other LCO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would compromise and do it for no less than $40...i mean just starting out you can't be too picky but that doesn't mean roll over either...you may get a call from the neighbor but guess what.....they will want you to cut theirs for $35 too instead of the $45 it should be
Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
i would compromise and do it for no less than $40...i mean just starting out you can't be too picky but that doesn't mean roll over either...you may get a call from the neighbor but guess what.....they will want you to cut theirs for $35 too instead of the $45 it should be
I agree. The customer will tell their neighbor they hired a really good yard guy for cheap!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

yea and no. but you can always negotiate a price with each neighbor. but that one account just turned into 3 or 4 accounts. and when you are just starting 1 or 3 or 4 accounts are better than no accounts. make that money brother!! diapers are expensive !! and in time you can always pick and choose.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtownlawnservice View Post
yea and no. but you can always negotiate a price with each neighbor. but that one account just turned into 3 or 4 accounts. and when you are just starting 1 or 3 or 4 accounts are better than no accounts. make that money brother!! diapers are expensive !! and in time you can always pick and choose.
Until the neighbors talk to each other and find out one is paying more than the other. Unless one yard takes alot more time than the other, charge the same.