Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

eaton 778 repair/replacement

Hi,
I have an older steiner ztm200 18 hp briggs and 52" deck. The right side hydro is an eaton 778-043 and has quit working. It acts like the fluid is not flowing inside of the hydro. I am going to try and take it apart this weekend. Have already downloaded the eaton directions from thier website. In case this is not repairable by the average person, I am a maintenance technician in a factory as my main job. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that can rebuild thse and or where new ones can be obtained. Thanks for your time and any information you can give me.
Donald
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have the actual model and serial of the unit? I dont think I need it but just in case.

Looks like you have a Steiner version of a Bobcat LEO... Ugh, the LEO had issues with those transmissions . Not really sure why since they seem very similar to the ones in Ferris Dual Drives and they hold up really well there under commercial use. Guess the extra weight from a rider? I dunno. Although I think Grasshopper used them in riders long ago too...so who knows.

How many hours are on your unit? You may want to contact SGC and see if they will help you out at all. There is a bulletin dealing with these. If one fails prematurely outside of the warranty period they will give you a better price on a new transaxle unit to replace it. Its worth a shot if you have fairly low hours on it but if you have a tons of hours I doubt they will help you out at all.

The trans from Bobcat is part 4129341 and lists for about ~$1140
Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Just rebuilt a 778. the " pump Rotor" is usually the weak link. it has a brass bushing that wears out and usually locks up the pump rotor. The hardest part is taking the pump apart making sure no bearing or springs fly out. A new filter is 20 bucks and the pump rotor was 85 bucks from Eaton. The wait was about 6 weeks. good luck
Old 09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. Will take it apart today or tommorrow.
All your information is greatly appreciated. Also will contact SGC, mower only has 540 hours on it.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it is at all like the Ferris transmissions you might try one of their dealers for the parts if the part you need is the same. Ferris stocks some parts for the ones they use.

I had looked into parts for an Eaton before and Eaton told me to their "distributor" was motion industries. Well to me a distributor stocks parts for something they distribute....yah not according to Eaton so like kiser312 said the wait for parts could be 6-8 weeks.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Took transaxle apart. After speaking with an engineer at eaton. Contacted Applied Industrial technologies. Can get the filter, pump assy and motor assy for less than $200. Whole assy is about $750 from them. We do a lot of business with them where I work so can get decent prices. Luckily, I have a spare mower so the 5 week wait isn't that big of a killer. By the way, have opted to try and rebuild. Wish me luck.
Linerider
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

If you can take it apart, you can rebuild it. Make sure you clean all the parts in the motor and the pump. Then clean it again 2 or 3 more times. The bleeding process is the also in eatons reapair manual.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerider View Post
Took transaxle apart. After speaking with an engineer at eaton. Contacted Applied Industrial technologies. Can get the filter, pump assy and motor assy for less than $200. Whole assy is about $750 from them. We do a lot of business with them where I work so can get decent prices. Luckily, I have a spare mower so the 5 week wait isn't that big of a killer. By the way, have opted to try and rebuild. Wish me luck.
Linerider
Nothin' to it! Just remember , "if it don't fit, don't force it! Just get a BIGGER hammer!!"

......AMF!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Have already downloaded the eaton directions from thier website"

Would you post that URL?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

eaton 778 publications

Here is the location of the eaton 778 manuals. just scroll down to the right one. They have both the repair manual and the parts manual. For parts, you really should call eaton, as the parts diagram is just a generic one and some of the parts in your specific transaxle maybe different. They sent me an assembly drawing and parts list of the 778-043, no problem.
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products...light_duty.htm
Linerider