Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Irrigation subs

I am close to signing to install all new sod and an irrigation system on a 4500sf project. I haven't installed systems before but have an ex-LCO man who moved here from CA who has years of experience with irrigation that I found on craigslist who will be helping. I bid $7k for the project and want to know if anyone has a feeling on appropriate compensation for the irr. help considering his expertise? 3 zones, 134 total heads. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopseahawk View Post
I am close to signing to install all new sod and an irrigation system on a 4500sf project. I haven't installed systems before but have an ex-LCO man who moved here from CA who has years of experience with irrigation that I found on craigslist who will be helping. I bid $7k for the project and want to know if anyone has a feeling on appropriate compensation for the irr. help considering his expertise? 3 zones, 134 total heads. Thanks in advance.
Something doesn't add up;

4500sf - 3 zones - 134 heads

You must have some wild pressure and great flow to average 45 heads per zone.

Is he trained? ...has he 'worked' on irrigation system before, or was he labor (cutting the grass) for an LCO and occasionally helped out with an Irrigation system here and there?

This year I have done numerous repairs and renovations, some of them pretty extensive, for clients that that have had 'experienced' people come in to install their irrigation system. I've made some great money fixing what these people call, "That's the way it's done, we do that all of the time!"

It might have made more sense and less headaches to partner up with an Irrigation Contractor to do the irrigation work than to have someone like this with unknown references.

Mick

Last edited by Fireguy97; 09-03-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I spoke to his supervisor from CA and he checks out. I may be off on the zones, just got the plan back. Does the bid seem on target for a project of that size?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
Something doesn't add up;

4500sf - 3 zones - 134 heads

It might have made more sense and less headaches to partner up with an Irrigation Contractor to do the irrigation work than to have someone like this with unknown references.

Mick
So true, but Mick is correct . The numbers dont add up.If it is 134 heads I doubt any contractor would touch it for under $11k , even working wholesale as a sub.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I spoke to his supervisor from CA and he checks out.
I'm glad that he has checked out.

Quote:
I may be off on the zones, just got the plan back. Does the bid seem on target for a project of that size?
Nope

Do you know what the flow rate and your working pressure is?

Mick
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Nah, your zones sound about right, but you've got to be way off on the head count. Can't see any way you'd be using 134 heads unless this is some narrow strip all the way - and if that's the case you've bid this too low.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am close to signing to install all new sod and an irrigation system on a 4500sf project.
Who designed the system? Have you seen the yard?

Mick
Old 09-04-2010, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can't calculate the amount of heads and zones needed off square footage. There are many factors into doing this but the amount of water each sprinkler head puts out and pipe size is what you mainly have to be concerned about. You need to zone according to hydro-zones. Just the fact this guy is doing this would raise a red flag for me. Go to you local ewing and ask them who is dependable and explain your situation and they could probably help you.

I don't see why more of you don't do your own irrigation. It's easy, goes hand in glove with lawn care, and is a great source of revenue.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
I don't see why more of you don't do your own irrigation. It's easy, goes hand in glove with lawn care, and is a great source of revenue.
I Agree with Cloud9. All of you should get into doing your own irrigation! I make thousands of dollars every year fixing systems that get installed by people that figure, "It's easy, and is a great source of revenue."

Mick
Old 09-04-2010, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I may be off on the zones, just got the plan back. Does the bid seem on target for a project of that size?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
You can't calculate the amount of heads and zones needed off square footage. There are many factors into doing this but the amount of water each sprinkler head puts out and pipe size is what you mainly have to be concerned about. You need to zone according to hydro-zones. Just the fact this guy is doing this would raise a red flag for me.
The OP has a plan. It sounds like someone else did the plan. He wasn't calculating heads by square footage, where did you get that from?

What 'guy' is doing this? His Craigslist helper? He didn't, see plan above.

Mick