Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

25 of the heads are in a parking strip measuring 5x130. Does that help. And, in reference to $11K figure, if I am $4K low(bearing in mind this county is one of the wealthiest in the country) what now? I, apparently, have been trying to figure out too much of this on my own in an attempt to get every dollar I can into my pocket so I can build this business more quickly. Materials will be about $4k-$4.5K. Do I tell the client; I made a mistake...it'll be $XXXX more. I don't think that will fly. I don't have a contract yet, so....go back with a higher bid and refer to another contractor when they tell me to go jump in the lake? My PT gig ended and I turned down another job based on the enthusiasm the client had going in...I assumed the sale...and need it badly.
The design was created by a system designer at the supplier I'll get the system materials from so I'm gonna bounce my bid off of him. Any advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. And, thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
I Agree with Cloud9. All of you should get into doing your own irrigation! I make thousands of dollars every year fixing systems that get installed by people that figure, "It's easy, and is a great source of revenue."

Mick

Heaven forbid you go get IA certified LIKE ME and heaven forbid any of you push yourselves to do more with your life than just push a mower over grass all day. Nice one jumping to conclusions you prick and a half.

And yes anything is easy with the proper training.

I would suggest for anyone to go over to the irrigation forum and get your ass kicked by those guys the next time a irrigation question pops up.

Last edited by Cloud9Landscapes; 09-04-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopseahawk View Post
25 of the heads are in a parking strip measuring 5x130.
I hope that you have great flow, 25 spray heads is going to use a lot of water if it's one zone. Are you hand digging, trenching, or pulling the pipe?

Quote:
what now? I, apparently, have been trying to figure out too much of this on my own in an attempt to get every dollar I can into my pocket so I can build this business more quickly. Materials will be about $4k-$4.5K.
Is that your materials cost? Top soil, turf, Irrigation supplies?

Now you wait and see if you get the job. Then if you do, you install it and do a great job. That's how you will build your business. Use this as a learning experience.

Mick
Old 09-04-2010, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
Heaven forbid you go get IA certified LIKE ME and heaven forbid any of you push yourselves to do more with your life than just push a mower over grass all day.

And yes anything is easy with the proper training.

I would suggest for anyone to go over to the irrigation forum and get you ass kicked by those guys.
Good for you Cloud9. My apologies. What you should have said is to 'get the training' to do irrigation properly. And yes, with the proper training, and proper tools, irrigation is easy....but that's not what you originally said. And yes, I still make a ton of money fixing mistakes made by untrained people.

Mick
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
Good for you Cloud9. My apologies. What you should have said is to 'get the training' to do irrigation properly. And yes, with the proper training, and proper tools, irrigation is easy....but that's not what you originally said. And yes, I still make a ton of money fixing mistakes made by untrained people.

Mick

I apologize too. Been a long day.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I understand the reaction from the professional irrigation installer. It's just that I tend to take on things that I think I have the ability to figure out how to do with a little help. Now, as sometimes happens, I'm in over my head. See those fingers sticking up out of the surf over there? That's me. I'm not out to be a fly by nighter. Just happened upon this bid opportunity and gave it a shot. To be continued...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, materials cost is as posted. Maybe less.

Irrigation parts/plumber-2100(a little more
Sod/amendments/seed/-1500
Tool rental-500
Things I haven't thought of-400(hopefully way less)
Hired labor-1200 give or take
Net-1300
Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, materials cost is as posted. Maybe less.

Irrigation parts/plumber-2100(a little more
Sod/amendments/seed/-1500
Tool rental-500
Things I haven't thought of-400(hopefully way less)
Hired labor-1200 give or take
Net-1300
Wouldn't you normally mark up materials for a quote? They are costs that you pay (purchase), then re-sell back to your client for a total package price installation. I would think that you left about/at least $3000 on the table.

Mick
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

The mark up on materials is another lesson learned. I'm just hoping to get out of this thing with a few bucks and move on.

BTW, any suggestions on a proper wage for the irrigation consultant. He'll be running the install and I'll be taking notes the whole way. I've seen suggestions of $50/hr for mowing services...hopefully this job will require less to get it done right.

What type of guarantee is standard for a system install?

Again, all the input is really valued and appreciated.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm trying to understand how you even came up with 7k figure based on work you have never done before. this may cost you the whole job when you go back to the customer and tell him you need a few thousand more.