Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochosdaddy View Post
Nah, your zones sound about right
How can you say that without knowing what is being irrigated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopseahawk View Post
BTW, any suggestions on a proper wage for the irrigation consultant. He'll be running the install and I'll be taking notes the whole way. I've seen suggestions of $50/hr for mowing services...hopefully this job will require less to get it done right.
My consult fees start at 100/hour for residential, 150/hour commercial & Ag ... and FYI .... you are setting yourself up for failure with 3 zones and 134 heads.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
BTW, any suggestions on a proper wage for the irrigation consultant. He'll be running the install and I'll be taking notes the whole way. I've seen suggestions of $50/hr for mowing services...hopefully this job will require less to get it done right.

What type of guarantee is standard for a system install?
Sorry Rocky, all these questions that I'm asking is still trying to get a feel for the job. One of the big reasons, I asked who designed the system, is that if your system was designed wrong, (with the wrong number of zones, and corresponding wrong number of heads to said zones) who is responsible for getting it fixed? You still also haven't told me if you know the pressure and flow rates. That will make a big difference if you can work with this many heads.

If you are the one responsible, then it's going to cost you more. If you received the plans from your client and just had them priced for parts, then that’s another story. The design and any problems are on the clients’ designer.

Is your irrigation guy doing the job with your help, or do you have a crew? Hand digging, or machinery trenching?

Not sure what the wages are in your neck of the woods, but $50/hour for an install seems pretty steep to me with this many unknown variables. If there are problems with flow rates because of the poor design, $50/and hour gets eaten up (any profits) really fast. As a contractor, I would want more than that per hour, but I also come with all of the tools, including trencher (pipe puller), and mini-backhoe.

On the other hand, if everything goes well, the digging is good, and if he's a good organizer this job should take no more than two maybe three days for the irrigation part.

For that many heads, take the parts home and pre-build the swing joints onto the fittings and heads. For that many heads, it will save a ton of jobsite time.

Mick

Last edited by Fireguy97; 09-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
For that many heads, take the parts home and pre-build the swing joints onto the fittings and heads. For that many heads, it will save a ton of jobsite time.
Or you could just buy pre-built swing risers and save yourself the hassle.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's the situation with pressure. The father responded to my craigslist ad wanting a system and sod installed on his sons yard. I met the son once on the initial trip to measure. Since then, I've called numerous times to schedule an appt to get the plumber there to hook into the water without response. The father was getting antsy about receiving a bid, so I had gave the suppply house the sketch and they created the plan. I figured I could add a pump afterward if the plumber indicated insufficient pressure/flow and adjust the head selection if needed. As for the zones, the controller is a Hunter Pro C 3 station KC6107) and 3 station mod(KC6105) controlling 5 zones, not 3 as earlier stated.

And yes, I know this whole chain of events may be cart before the horse, but I'm feeling my way through this as previously posted.

Could I use the lack of response by the son(documented in emails to father and son) in regards to the plumber visit and the resulting system redesign implications be used as a legit reason for a revised bid. I'm not looking to just boost profit, but most importantly to get the right system installed in the first place?

Also, thanks to Fireguy and Kiril for the pre build tips.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, I got the $50/hr off of another post in regards to mowing and I thought that an irrigation expert would probably earn more than a mower operator.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Or you could just buy pre-built swing risers and save yourself the hassle.
You are still going to have to screw the swing joints into the heads and the tee fittings/90 SxF ell's. Or do you purchase those ready made also? We have to attach our own swing joints to heads and fittings.

Mick
Old 09-06-2010, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The father was getting antsy about receiving a bid, so I had gave the suppply house the sketch and they created the plan. I figured I could add a pump afterward if the plumber indicated insufficient pressure/flow and adjust the head selection if needed.

And yes, I know this whole chain of events may be cart before the horse, but I'm feeling my way through this as previously posted.

Could I use the lack of response by the son(documented in emails to father and son) in regards to the plumber visit and the resulting system redesign implications be used as a legit reason for a revised bid. I'm not looking to just boost profit, but most importantly to get the right system installed in the first place?
Red flag alert. You can't give someone a price if you don't have all of the information, no matter how antsy they get. Are they the type of client that you want if they try to hold you to the quoted price even if you need to add three or four more zones, and/or a pump?

In this case, if your existing pressure and flow isn't adequate, you will need more zones, which means more valves/boxes, more wire, bigger clock, more labor, more pipe, more fittings, more time, more cost. What will happen if they try to hold you to your quoted price? Be prepared to walk if you feel that they will try to take advantage of the situation that they are forcing you into.

Mick
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy97 View Post
You are still going to have to screw the swing joints into the heads and the tee fittings/90 SxF ell's. Or do you purchase those ready made also? We have to attach our own swing joints to heads and fittings.
You are not serious are you? It takes like 10 secs to screw a swing riser into a fitting.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks fire, and to all the replies along the way.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You are not serious are you? It takes like 10 secs to screw a swing riser into a fitting.
It's not much time, but 10 seconds for the tee, ten seconds for the head, 20 seconds x 135 heads actually works out to 45 minutes. Now add all of the extra time starting and stopping 135 times for each head gettind the parts rather than doing it as a production line.

I'd rather do that at home, rather than at the jobsite paying someone to put together something this simple together. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

Mick