Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
i seem to learn something every day, you must be the dean of palms? good play of words.

i looked at the site but was not able to get the full enjoyement of the 3D feature.

i think that i need to modify my opinion, leave it alone or don',t the choice is yours. the information you want on rpz's is available to you online from all manufactures, the testing required to make the discission is up to you.

i wish you luck and choose not to play any longer.............

Thanks for the well wishes. And sorry you couldn't enjoy the 3D. It does take a "newer" computer with a fairly decent video card. But there are many other pics there to get an idea of how obsessed botanists and fanatical plant collectors can become. Even to the extent of moving to the slope of an active volcano in the middle of the ocean to pursue their passion.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dypsisdean View Post
Thanks for the well wishes. And sorry you couldn't enjoy the 3D. It does take a "newer" computer with a fairly decent video card. But there are many other pics there to get an idea of how obsessed botanists and fanatical plant collectors can become. Even to the extent of moving to the slope of an active volcano in the middle of the ocean to pursue their passion.
i only have 1 eye!!!!

i kill me
Old 09-06-2010, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
i only have 1 eye!!!!

i kill me
For real??? Seriously

If that avatar is really you, you could've had a lead part in "Tombstone."
Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

(don't remind him of his avatar, since a remake of True Grit is in the works)
Quote:
Thanks Wet Boots and Kiril for some useful opinions and comments. Although I still fail to find the usefulness of Wet Boots continued statements about my brains, judgement, or any flawed functionality derived from experience with swimming pool hydrodynamics.
We get to give you the big razzoo because of a failure on your part to do the essential measuring required to consult technical data on pressure loss. Don't wear your typing fingers out trying to explain the failure. Just accept it as failure and move on.

Elevations don't mean diddlysquat when it comes to friction losses in pipes and valves - it's all about flow, and flow is going to be determined by the sprinklers being used. For the money, it looks like a rework of heads and zones to me, even if all the above-ground plumbing has to be discarded because it won't endure higher pressures.

Last edited by Wet_Boots; 09-06-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: more pure gold from the bottomless well of knowledge
Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
For real??? Seriously

If that avatar is really you, you could've had a lead part in "Tombstone."
for real................. that's john wayne in the avatar though.

3D won't work without stereo vision, silly

i still kill me
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Don't wear your typing fingers out trying to explain the failure. Just accept it as failure and move on.
Amen!

Like I said, for the amount you have spent on plants and water you should have done the irrigation system right.

Install the RP and deal with it.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I watched the marathon "Swamp People" last night. Makes me wanna go limb line a gator.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
(don't remind him of his avatar, since a remake of True Grit is in the works)We get to give you the big razzoo because of a failure on your part to do the essential measuring required to consult technical data on pressure loss. Don't wear your typing fingers out trying to explain the failure. Just accept it as failure and move on.

Elevations don't mean diddlysquat when it comes to friction losses in pipes and valves - it's all about flow, and flow is going to be determined by the sprinklers being used. For the money, it looks like a rework of heads and zones to me, even if all the above-ground plumbing has to be discarded because it won't endure higher pressures.
I don't mind a big razzoo for omitting what you feel was crucial for the present sprinkler design. But to insinuate that it's a result of stupidity is another matter. What you still fail to understand is that in the original installation the flow, pressure, etc. meant nothing to me. I had very limited pipe choices here in the middle of the Pacific, and a given pressure/flow to work with. The goal was maximum coverage on each zone - period. So all I had to do was keep adding heads until a couldn't add any more. The pressure and flow were irrelevant. I either had a zone with 10, 15, or 20 sprinklers. Knowing all the precious variables wouldn't have changed a thing. That's a pretty straight forward simple concept that needed no math at all.

And your evaluation of head and elevations is lacking. The difference between pool and sprinkler design is that we care more about head and flow. Pressure is something to be avoided. We try and reduce pressure as much as possible, while increasing flow. It is easier on seals, filters, etc. But the effect of head (specifically elevation changes) on flow and pressure is significant, and every elbow, ft. of head is included in any sizing equations, mainly because of differences in pump performance as it relates to head.

Think of it this way. Come out of your meter and go straight up a 100 ft cliff and see how many sprinklers you can run. Then come out of your meter and go straight down a 100 ft. cliff and see how many you can run. I think you would be very surprised, despite what any figuring on paper that you do. Or to carry an example even farther, if you came out of a meter with relatively low pressure to begin with, you may not even be able to push any water up a steep long cliff, but actually pick up pressure going down a long steep cliff. My elevations were purely estimates. The delta could be as much as 150 ft. So again, all the equations I looked at did not really provide for what I have come to respect as a very real variable that you seem to discount.

Last edited by dypsisdean; 09-06-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm baffled on how you are able to write a book every time you post.

Dude, get over your self... You have to install the rp so deal with it.
Congratulations on having a basic understand of water hydraulics. Have fun with your main eventually bursting because of the high flow rates. Don't cry to us when you get your $10,000 water bill.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This thread is about over, most of you have given the guy WAY more information than he deserved and he has struck back like it was some kind of dog fight. Throw it out, move on.