Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2010, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

UGH New Pick Ups are Worthless

I need a full size single rear wheel gas truck to handle a decent amout of work without being to big & heavy to drive on lawns, maneuver into tight spots, small drives....

Thats why I have a Silverado with a dump insert which is awesome on convienience and maneuverability but I cant keep this Piece Of $hit box looking decent. Its 3 yrs old and so dented up its amazing.

I lifted a log over the side and couldnt make it over, drug down the side of the box on the way down. Shouldve scuffed the paint maybe! But it totaly pushed the body in like a soda can. This among a half dozen little dents

Crap is SO thin that I think if I could just get to the inside of the dents I could push them back out with my thumb.

I have to put up with this garbage or buy a figgen dump truck? I guess I could get one of the single wheel dump bodies that alot of local companies make but I really like the look of a pick up..... without dents! I just want a pick-up but you cant use them for work.

I even have a dent OUT instead of being dented in! Figure that one out!
OK don bich'n
Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a dump. a dump is dual rear wheels so it has less direct pressure on the ground with one tire. Make the leap. you can carry more weight and the hoist is a lot better. get one with a blue oval too.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
get one with a blue oval too.
In other words, a real truck.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
In other words, a real truck.
come on...I wasn't gonna say it like that. But yeah..get a real truck... Just kidding....but a regular dump is much better than the ez dumper in my opinion. I have had both and I have thrown ez dumpers in my personal pickups after buying new pickups..only because I already had it and if you trade them you dont get sh*t. I would not buy a pick up to set up as a dump though. Its good to have dedicated trucks for work and your pickup for estimates and general driving around. It doesn't get beat and when you are done you make it a work truck and buy a new one. Rotate the oldest one out or add another.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The dual wheel ground presure thing is a good point but theres alot of additional weight there too and if you have a dually its usually a diesel and diesels are damn heavy. I dont think the lawns would like the front tires pressure much. Of course you can get a gasser but.... eh... dual wheels and gasser sounds.... not great?

Not to mention the added size of a "real truck" sacrafice that maneuverability that is so handy to me. Note- I barely pull off a 3/4 to pick up on lawns without pissing people off.

The most frustrating part is having something SO CLOSE to what I need yet so far away. All I need is 1999 grade sheet metal on a new truck.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
The dual wheel ground presure thing is a good point but theres alot of additional weight there too and if you have a dually its usually a diesel and diesels are damn heavy. I dont think the lawns would like the front tires pressure much. Of course you can get a gasser but.... eh... dual wheels and gasser sounds.... not great?

Not to mention the added size of a "real truck" sacrafice that maneuverability that is so handy to me. Note- I barely pull off a 3/4 to pick up on lawns without pissing people off.

The most frustrating part is having something SO CLOSE to what I need yet so far away. All I need is 1999 grade sheet metal on a new truck.
why would you be pulling on peoples lawns. If my truck is going across their lawn its more than likely for major work. I have done it before and just used a spring rake on the grass. Its not that much difference in weight. My 350 dumps are 9k pounds empty...diesel 4wd. I bet your pick up is at least 6k pounds ....then add the ez dumper another thousand is 7k pounds. If your pick up weighs 7k pounds now you are only a thousand off plus the difference in the dual wheels vs. single. Just something to think about. I would think about how much more material you can put in a dump and the benefits with towing and stuff. There are advantages to both.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

its somewhat rural. Lawns are good size. Many clean-ups and all clearouts require a truck in place. Then some top soil/mulch to certain areas vs alot of whhel barrow work can be a life saver.

Spring cleanups can make for some soft spots that time of yr.

But maybe the 2000lb dif wouldnt be too bad offset by the duals. Something to consider.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get an aluminium tray. Sides fold down, can be removed and replaced if damaged. I know theres someone in the US that has them, I ve seen the website. Just cant think who they are!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

not sure what u mean. have a pic?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hes talking about the beds the homedepot uses on their rental trucks. A flat bed with little fold down sides.

And onto the second point KEEP OFF THE LAWN YOU KNUCKLE HEAD!! ive never once drove a truck on a lawn (well one time when he was on vacation)