Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know irrigation, but am around submersible pumps constantly in the Water Feature trade. The fact that this pump is even still working after 7 years is pretty amazing. Get the customer a new pump.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

how many years do you typically get out of a submersible pump - if installed in river?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are 2 different performance bases for submersible pumps: continuous operation (Ponds), and intermittent or demand use (cisterns, common sump pumps) I am assuming that the pump in question is one of the latter. All submersibles are water cooled, externally and INTERNALLY. If the pre-filter for the pump is clogged and water intake is restricted or prohibited, the pump will overheat. The thermal overload/overheat protector will trip to protect the pump, however, most of these thermal protectors will automatically reset once the pump cools. Pump then restarts and reheats causing protector to trip again. If this occurs for an extended period of time the thermal protector will weaken and probably eventually cease working. A contaminated bearing can also cause the pump to overheat internally.
In answer to your question, in a pond venue, I tell the customer that if the pump lasts twice the warranty (2 years tops) period or 4-5 years max, they are ahead of the game. In a river venue, I certainly wouldn't expect any longer length of use.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you think it's possible for the thermal overload protector to trip while the pump is running for such a short period? Have you had a similar experience to what I am describing?

The pump I am having trouble with is only on for 30 seconds prior to cutting out.

I have pulled the pump and right now it is in my truck. I am thinking of filling a trash can with water and doing a test at my shop - anybody ever tried something like this?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tadpole covered what I meant by oversenstive thermal overload protection. Over time, they can become so sensitive that they'll shut the pump off pretty quickly. I've seen them shut a pump off in just a few minutes, it's possible for them to shut one off in 30 seconds or so also. I agree that you should just go ahead and replace the 7 year old pump.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Understood. I will replace.

Talked with another contractor about my pump issue. He mentioned the capicitor is probably bad. Anybody familiar with this?

I'm trying to learn more about pumps if you haven't figured this out.

Thanks for all your info.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing that you learn about pumps is that they never last as long as you think that they should and the second thing is that they have a unique quality of croaking at the most inopportune time.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I tested the pump at my shop. I got the same results - pump kicks on for 30 seconds and then shuts down for 5 minutes.

I was able to get an amperage reading while the pump was running - 27amps. This is telling me the motor done. Correct?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct! Dump The Pump.