Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well said, Sleepy.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are spot on. Its an epedimic. The younger generation doesn't understand a hard days work, and has been taught that they are better than "those" jobs. I hate to break the bad news to them but not everyone can sit behind their computers in the AC and make 100k plus. That's not the real world.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Sprinkler Guy View Post
I hate to break the bad news to them but not everyone can sit behind their computers in the AC and make 100k plus.
Once you know the gig and own the company, that's one thing, but the employees don't realize how we suffer to make payroll, excise, L&I AND, let's not forget the slow pays.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
What do you expect when mom & dad pick them up the bus stop/school. Gives them toys like iPhones, ipads, wiis, etc..... When the kids has to grow up in the burbs with nothing to do but play games on the tv. Along with the overly plump parents that are right beside them. What do you expect to get from that? They don't know any better. That type of kid doesn't have the country setting where you get to do side work like prime tobacco, pick up hay, farm work, or even help the fireman that has a LC company, cut firewood. That is my nc.02.
Posted via Mobile Device
I work out of a town of about 23,000 people, mostly IT employees. You can drive from one side of town to the other any day of the week and not see a kid on a bicycle , kids playing a game of footballl baseball ect. There just are no kids outside doing anything.Kids ( highschoolers) do not get jobs in the summer as we did when we were kids.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I had my fill of "I worked irrigation when I was in college" types. My best luck was finding someone who had a work ethic and learned from me. That way, the bad habits were my own.
I think "work ethic" has been the toughest thing to find. I try to convince everyone that comes aboard that the quicker you learn, the more value you are to the company and thus the more you make. Honestly though, it's been a tough sell and in many cases it feels like im teaching brain surgery to a monkey. There is only so many times you can show a person the "flow arrow" on a valve before wondering if they simply don't give a sh*t.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have expanded my company only AFTER finding the right people. Not taking on more work, then trying to find the right employees. Both my current employees are very hard workers, good work ethics, willing to learn, and trustworthy.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 22 year old Guatamalan guy that works for me and he is great. I taught him the trade when we both worked for another company 4 years ago. Then this year he came to work for me. I before I hired him full time I had some white friends help me a few times and they sucked.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I have 22 year old Guatamalan guy that works for me and he is great. I taught him the trade when we both worked for another company 4 years ago. Then this year he came to work for me. I before I hired him full time I had some white friends help me a few times and they sucked.
I have one guy that is American/Italian, but some of my customers think he's Mexican. Had one lady say "Don't send that Mexican back out", so we never showed up again. Guy is in his mid 50s, and has had to work for everything in his life. Great person, great worker.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blake has tommy sub machine guns tattoed on both forearms.... But that ol sonna ofa ***** works so hard and is so personable with the clients that it amazies me. You can not judge a book by its cover.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillolawncare View Post
I have had good luck hiring young men that come from ranching or country backgrounds. They have been exposed to hard work and working in the heat their whole lives. They generally seem to have better work ethics which I think is a testiment to their upbringing.
I found that to be true when I had employees from south of the border. Those who grew up on a ranch, like the ones I hired in the early 80's from Zacatecas, had a work ethic that couldn't be beat. Mutual respect and fair wages for hard work earned friendships and loyalty that persist long after I got out of the L/S maint. that employed them.