Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslawnlandscapeohio View Post
Yes, sod price scares them fast. We did a 6 acre in sod last year, it cost over $290,000.00. it was for a pro basketball player. He wanted a lawn before a party. He got it.
290K, must have been Lebron before he split for Miami!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Cuts View Post
290K, must have been Lebron before he split for Miami!
Wish I could say, but I cant. I will tell you it was not Lebron. We did some work for him, but nothing major.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslawnlandscapeohio View Post
Wish I could say, but I cant. I will tell you it was not Lebron. We did some work for him, but nothing major.
A. Jamison?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont even lay sod but I know what folks charge. This is a question you already have the answer for I think. Install it, charge her by the hour whatever you hourly rate is or what your time is worth plus any expense you will have. if you dont already know then chances are you dont need to be doing this size job. Not bein a smartarse please dont take it that way.

One thing I have found out this is not the place to come to see what to charge for a job. Or any site for that because everybodys operating costs are different and thats just a fact. Too many factors to price jobs and work for folks all over the good ole USA.

Good luck with your job.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut level View Post
I dont even lay sod but I know what folks charge. This is a question you already have the answer for I think. Install it, charge her by the hour whatever you hourly rate is or what your time is worth plus any expense you will have. if you dont already know then chances are you dont need to be doing this size job. Not bein a smartarse please dont take it that way.

One thing I have found out this is not the place to come to see what to charge for a job. Or any site for that because everybodys operating costs are different and thats just a fact. Too many factors to price jobs and work for folks all over the good ole USA.

Good luck with your job.
Sir/ how much would you charge for this job
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I said I dont lay sod but I would be per pallet or per hour. I have no idea what your time is worth nor your operating cost for the job. It is irrelevant for me to comment on what I would charge. Figure your cost to do the job and add your profit pretty simple. If you have never laid sod then maybe you should pass on the job to someone else and maybe throw you a finders fee.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

30000 sq ft of sod?!! That's like 45 pallets. That's like 6000$ just In materials. how many guys are going to help you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I came up with about 32,000$ in labor + equipment+ OH. and I belive someone said they should have an irragation system; Dam straight they better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
What does that have anything to do with your question? Put the sod in and bill her for your labor. Why is this even an issue for you? If you think the client won't pay then walk away.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesimoes2 View Post
See that’s what tells me you haven’t been in business to long with no offence
Really? Just because he thinks someone should have the capital to front LABOR only for a sod job?

I did 4 acres worth of sod a couple years ago. Not a dime up front. Not even materials. Owned this business for a few years. I'm 4th generation, business has been around since 1932. I think Kiril was dead on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I see .... so if I told you I my biggest sod job was 200K, that would make a difference how?
Oh sure, because we all know that everything we read on the internet is true.

I mean really, I could be a 16 YO girl from Miami and no one would know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I always charge around 2 bucks a square foot installed for sod. I know I would be way off on this job but I have never had anyone ask me for that much sod. Usually it doesnt take people long to decide on hydroseeding when I ball park them on sod.
And you're in Massachusetts and the other guy is in Ohio.

Different businesses. Different overhead. Different labor costs. Different equipment costs. Different profit desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut level View Post

Good luck with your job.

PS Of that 4 acres, not a single bit was a 1 yd roll.

For the OP, find a sod company with the big rolls and sub it to them. Add your percentage, sit back and let them get dirty. I subbed out a job a couple weeks ago that was about 4500 sq ft.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Agreed

Really? Just because he thinks someone should have the capital to front LABOR only for a sod job?

I did 4 acres worth of sod a couple years ago. Not a dime up front. Not even materials. Owned this business for a few years. I'm 4th generation, business has been around since 1932. I think Kiril was dead on.

Oh sure, because we all know that everything we read on the internet is true.

I mean really, I could be a 16 YO girl from Miami and no one would know the difference.

And you're in Massachusetts and the other guy is in Ohio.

Different businesses. Different overhead. Different labor costs. Different equipment costs. Different profit desires.

PS Of that 4 acres, not a single bit was a 1 yd roll.

For the OP, find a sod company with the big rolls and sub it to them. Add your percentage, sit back and let them get dirty. I subbed out a job a couple weeks ago that was about 4500 sq ft.
If you read the original post before you go off on a mulitquote parade...he wasn't asking about price. I was simply talking to someone else, not the OP about how I thought money could be better spent on hardscaping and that I would likely be very high on the job, considering people rarely do 30k square feet of sod around me anyways. Friendly discussion about what I would charge. Not offering suggestions to someone else. I freely admit that it would be too much.