Register free!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain Master remote news.

Russ, crew and I have been having trouble with both remotes this season. One is my old UA that has had the keyboard replaced once. The other is a fairly fresh one I bought for our RM clocks that have permanent receivers. Both units got sent back to the factory after Russ went on line to get the paperwork taken care of. Sort of pricey to have the two remotes and the UA re-done, but we use the piss out of them and they are invaluable. RM now has a upgrade for the UA, so you who have them should be aware. I blame Russ for his double thumb method of firing the remotes.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's the upgrade, bud?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
What's the upgrade, bud?
Something about communicating with the international space station and the Hubble telescope. By the way, it's "bub", not "bud".
Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe W*M can build GPS units into their solenoids so you can find them, bub
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some day I'm going to sit you down and explain the anomaly that got me off track. Don't forget your nametag at I.A. in Phoenix.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Maybe W*M can build GPS units into their solenoids so you can find them, bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Some day I'm going to sit you down and explain the anomaly that got me off track. Don't forget your nametag at I.A. in Phoenix.
you had too much help, i finally read the thread
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
How drunk do I have to be for the explanation to make sense?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
you had too much help, i finally read the thread
Yup, all cared and added their suggestions, which I appreciated, but did me no good because how the zone was wired. Russ found the valve thanks to Jim's help six inches away from where the 521 was telling me. The common and the hot were looped (hot accidentally) and with a completely fried solenoid, the 521 worked as well as it could. Good reason to ohm-out one's sites every year or so . That's the worst valve locate I've ever done.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yup, all cared and added their suggestions, which I appreciated, but did me no good because how the zone was wired. Russ found the valve thanks to Jim's help six inches away from where the 521 was telling me. The common and the hot were looped (hot accidentally) and with a completely fried solenoid, the 521 worked as well as it could. Good reason to ohm-out one's sites every year or so . That's the worst valve locate I've ever done.
it was an easy locate made extremely difficult due to:

making connections at the controller and not isolating the wire path at the junction box inside the building.

the expansion run had direct earth contact and with the right soil/moisture make-up the wires were ground faulting and the signal was either bleeding extensively of disappearing all-together. to resolve this russ removed the earth ground some 50 feet away.

throw in the in field junction box with the expansion wires becoming an overpowering directional antenna carrying the stronger signal away from the valve and due to an OL at the solenoid there was no discernible "hot spot" for mike to pick up on and the null and peak were super strong due to all of the wires becoming conductors, again due to the junction box being between the controller and the field and connecting at the controller.

another thing that had to be overcome was having the knowledge of the w*m being fried and with past problems in finding them it was hard to think outside of the box, i had a hard time at first getting russ to wipe the slate clean, once he did this the locate went: trace, isolate, test, isolate, locate and dance.

if you re-read the phantom/stealth WfrigginM solenoid thread, too many experienced locators missed the issue. it wasn't the fried solenoid, it was the series of junction boxes and the ground fault. once these were removed from the equation it was dance time

by the time that you guys rehash this and boots gives the boss his waterfilled conduit theory, they'll wheel them both out of the bar
Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RM news.......SWEET