Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you think customers realize?

I am currently in about my 3rd going on 4th month of my first year of mowing lawns. Things are going great, but a lot of that has to do with my partnership with another lawn care service. I am just starting out, obviously.

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I know that many people in our industry understand that most people don't think very highly of "lawn mowers" for the most part. It is considered "unskilled labor" even though that is not true at all.

My question is this...before I got into this profession, I probably thought about us in much the same way as anyone else...unskilled, likely uneducated, etc. But now that I have a taste of it and understand all of the different aspects of it, the thing I wonder most now is...

Does it ever occur to any of the people that hire us to mow their lawns that there is a somewhat decent possibility that we make more money than them per year?

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not there yet, but from many of my conversations with my lawn care partner and many of his friendly competitors (though I'm not even sure that is the appropriate term because everyone gets along well here) 6 figures is not out of the question at all and for many is considered the norm.

I know that it's not supposed to be about the money and it's supposed to be about the love of the job and the customer service and all that but I think that is kind of BS. I love what I am doing. I want to provide the best customer service I can because I honestly take pride in my work, but what I like the most is getting paid. And I think that is true of any job. Love it, like it, handle it, hate it, it is all simply a means to an end isn't it?

There's some pretty good money here. I just wonder if people realize it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't kid yourself, it is absolutely about the money. If you don't make a fair wage your love for the business will quickly die. Customers always try to compute your per hour income vs theirs. It's human nature. Customers aren't't paying you to cut the grass. They are paying for the privilege of not cutting it themselves. Don't buy into the lowball quotes and the "I'm on a fixed income" story. This is a luxury service and you should not waste your time with people who cannot afford it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

everything is about the money.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Without my clients I'd be no where. I started working out of the back of my 90 Ford Bronco with a homeowner toro 21" mower, hand held blower and a little echo trimmer. My first year of mowing I came into contact with a wealthy homeowner, She told me that she was going to help me get more business. She did, 6 years later and we have 13 large accounts on her street. Lots of my clients want to see us succeed. I have found that the harder we work, the more our clients respect and help us grow. Although over the years I have come into contact with a few "haters". They look down their nose at you and treat you with no respect. I feed off the "haters". I kill them with kindness and great customer service. If that doesn't work, I fire them. Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa, OK
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its all about the benjamins!!!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its all about the money.

No your customers dont think about that.

Yes, they think its an unskilled lowlife labor job.

Realize they are going to think that way, and dont try to fight it. Just go about it and make money.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course its about the money, its a luxury service. You don't need to go to school to cut grass, everyone can do it. Just take pride in the work, and like bigname said, work hard so that your customer can see it.

I always tell myself when i'm working and there is NO ONE on the street, that there is still someone watching me. So you cut a corner once, and trust me someone saw you.
Complete lawn care services
Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is very little skilled involved in actually cutting someone's grass lets be honest. To say otherwise is just bogus. It IS a low labor job.

Now running and managing a lawn care company is a completely different skill set. Solo guys perform both the labor and the business aspect and since people only see them performing the labor that is what they are associated with. However they can also be very smart businessmen and many are. Many successful lawn and or landscape companies start out as solo or 2 friends mowing lawns. Business sense and drive lead these people ahead of the pack and to the top of a well run BUSINESS.

Landscaping and hardscaping takes much more knowledge then a lawn mower however again the actual tasks are just labor and people can easily be taught the proper ways to complete certain tasks. Is takes a brain and business sense to line up the work and manage the laborers.

The managers and owners of landscaping and lawn companies (the legitimate ones at least) are run by business men and women who manage the labor force.

Anyone who can build and run a successful business should at the very least have 6 figures in theirgrasp if they so decide to work for it. Weather they want the added stress and responsibility that getting there may entail is completely up to them. Some people make 50k are 100x happier than those making 500k, it all depends on the person.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

when i bought the house i am currently in the guy next door came over to introduce himself. we started talking and he asked what i did for a living, i told him i own a landscape and lawn maintenance company. he says " oh you do that on the side, whats your real job". i told him that is all i do, he says well there is no way that someone that cuts grass for a living is going to live next to me. i told him right then i know a few realitors for when he is ready to sell.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Clark, That guy sounds like a real ******. Has he come around?
6.5' X 12' Trailer
2007 Chevy 1500
1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Echo Accessories