Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Considering getting into the biz next spring

One I hope that this post is in the correct place. I wanted to get some advice from those of you that I have found to be full of knowledge. I thinking about getting into doing fert and pesticide applications next spring. As well as doing seeding and general turf restoration. I'm not mowing lawns or anything right now, so this will be a totally new start up. I would be doing this part time, 2-3 days a week.

I guess the big question is if I'm just throwing away time and money, trying to get into a overly saturated market. I'm in the Indianapolis, IN metro area, more specifically the northern metro area. I have already looked into what I will need to get certified to apply pesticides and what is needed to start a business in IN.

My reasons for wanting to get into the business are 1. I want to be doing something other than being at the house when I'm off from my full time job. 2. I had used a national chain fert and pesticide company for the past two years, but fired them this past summer due to their lousy customer service. I just feel that I can do a better job and will take better care of customers.

So pass on any advice or words of wisdom that you might have.

Thanks,
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm selling out my business this year. I am venturing into small engine repair. Call or text me, or pm me through lawnsite. I do mowing and aeration, as well as landscaping.

James
317-450-2711

Southside Indy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

use the mistakes made by others you mentioned and apply it to your business. Do free advertising with google places and online yelloepages ect. Thosse two things have worked flawlessly for me. Also it may help to establish your buisness quicker if you did offer add on services such as fert and pest to a regular service such as regular cutting service. Especially since they usually go together. Or maybe think of another service that goes good with pest if there is no way u would cut grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice on advertising. I would like to eventually add full service lawn service. Right now I thought that just starting in fert and pest applications would get me started. Also my thinking is that I can get into fert and pest at a relatively lower cost than mowing. The plan would be that that fert and pest would help me expand into mowing. Plus I have a storage issue when it comes to mowing equipment.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

More research has me thinking I have this all backwards. It looks like I need to just start picking up small jobs in my neighborhood mowing and landscaping and then work up to the point of adding weed control.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnabelLawnCare View Post
I'm selling out my business this year. I am venturing into small engine repair. Call or text me, or pm me through lawnsite. I do mowing and aeration, as well as landscaping.

James
317-450-2711

Southside Indy
Posted via Mobile Device
Why would you want to do that? its not as rosy on this side of the biz as you might think.